Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I just did an oil change and purchased a catch pan that would not fit under the car. What to do? Jack it up and slip some bricks under there. My driveway has a slope on part of it so I used it to my advantage. There is a chock under one front wheel and a stone under the other.

I did air filter, MAF spray, and cleaned gross throttle body along with the oil change. Now smooth as silk and whirs. I didn't realize the deterioration that occurred over time.

Hillbilly oil change.

2009 C2S 36K miles.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Looks good, but I hope the bricks weren't just clay...
Laz - Tuesday, 18 June, 2013, at 4:23:43 pm
not too much tensile* strength there, meaning any unevenness of mating surfaces can stress them to the breaking point.

* Not sure if that's the right engineering term. Shear strength perhaps?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2013 04:24PM by Laz. (view changes)
Re: Oil Change - Up on bricks! - Pics
chris & 987 - Tuesday, 18 June, 2013, at 6:02:55 pm
you can get drive up hard resin/plastic ramps for about 30-$ at pep boys or any auto parts place.
Love the pic... but
grant - Wednesday, 19 June, 2013, at 8:24:22 am
i really liek the rhinos too. And if it do use solid supports my absolute favourite, even if i include professional jack-stands, are sets of
6x6 or 8x8 18" pressure treated stock. Super strong. Very stable (especially if all alignd at 45 degrees). Wont crack.

But for oil changes, Rhinos.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
That is why I have that jack there under tension. The rhino ramps are $50 at PepBoys...... bricks were 0$. Next time? I dunno. Do you take a good solution and pay money or just use what you have... that works. Hmmm...

Peace
Bruce In Philly
Yes, bricks are for stoops:
Laz - Tuesday, 18 June, 2013, at 10:17:37 pm
Ramps...
MarcW - Wednesday, 19 June, 2013, at 2:18:05 pm
'course you want to use better positioning than someone I know...

Me.
Rhinos and others might be better than some Sears ramps I used to have, but with those if the tires went ever so little onto the front "stops" the ramps' rears would tilt up, and the fronts would get close to slipping the tires off. You want to be sure the tires are staying centered all the way up, too.
Re: Ramps...
Michael SYS Driver - Wednesday, 19 June, 2013, at 6:28:52 pm
or you could jack up a side and put the ramp under the wheel, of course that pretty much cancels out the whole ease of use. Would be a good idea if you were worried about making sure the wheels were centered on it and didn't have someone to "spot" you.
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Thursday, 20 June, 2013, at 6:25:05 pm
I built a set out of some scrap 2x4s and they work great.

silverbox03 - Friday, 21 June, 2013, at 2:47:44 pm
Ramps, I agree. Putting a car in the air in order to get underneath it for repairs or service should be taken very seriously.
If I can add one more suggestion, if it is at all possible have another person there with you. A friend of mine was working under a car a few years ago when his car rolled off of its supports and killed him. It was said that if someone would have been there, they could have saved him since it was the amount of time he was being crushed that caused his death.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login