Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Speaking of glass work
Bobtesa - Monday, 24 June, 2013, at 9:01:03 am
I wouldn't have posted this, but the threads about safelite brought this to mind. About a month ago the rear view mirror in my wife's '03 Jetta game unglued from the windshield. So, I did a quick search and found Banner glass in Silver Spring, MD. (Disclaimer - never used them before this and do not know them.) I called to see if they could re-attach the mirror. For sure, just come in, it only takes 20 minutes (mostly for the glue to set). On the way there I notices a chip in the windshield, so when I arrived I asked if they could fix that too. OK, for $65. 20 minutes later the manager walks over to me with the keys, says the car is ready. NO CHARGE, just "keep us in mind for future business". Sure will!

As I drove home I noticed that I could not see any mark whatsoever where they fixed the chip. I had a local safelite fix a small chip on my Boxster windshield, and while I guess it is ok and may prevent cracking, I can see where the repair was done. It may be that not all glass chips can be fixed as seamlessly as others, but they were about the same size chips with different results.
I had a chip in a windshield and the technician did an awful job. He drilled it out to remove any points where torque forces could concentrate and crack the glass. Then he mixes up a resin mixture and injects it into the glass hole. If I remember correctly, he uses a UV light to set it (but maybe a memory from my dentist experiences is mixing in here). The result was a cloudy, near opaque splotch. I think it was the technician and not the limits of the chemicals here.

By the way, I think some of my issues with contractors is related to living in Philadelphia. I lived in Cleveland and Western PA where the contractors were "nicer" and appeared to care more about their work. Contractor work in Philadelphia is very spotty.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login