Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
cost of an oil change?
Steve (Morro Bay) - Thursday, 27 June, 2013, at 12:47:42 pm
Needing an oil change during a months long trip away form my garage & tools, I decided to do it myself. Mainly this was because I enjoy the task, and I enjoy knowing that any screwups are my own. Also of course, I hoped the DIY cost, even including ramps and tools, might still be below what I'd pay at an indy, and certainly a dealer. Am I right? My costs wound up coming to $161. I'm curious -- was I wildly off?

Time is money of course, but who can put a price on the joy of rolling around in oil and dirt?!
Re: cost of an oil change?
danz76 - Thursday, 27 June, 2013, at 1:17:21 pm
My indy in Miami charges me $180 for an oil change, which includes oil (duh), filter, topping off all of the fluids as needed, checking tire wear, checking brake wear, checking the underside of the car for damage, checking the hoses, cleaning my K&N air filter and occassionally cleaning out m MAF. I keep an eye on most of these things on my own, but like to have the peace of mind of having a second set of eyes look over the car every six months.
if not surpass what an indy would charge and probably what a dealer would charge. I pay roughly $200 for an oil/filter change which in my case as danz76 mentions consists of more than just the oil/filter service. My techs do not clean the MAF but they do top up all fluids -- the only one that needs topping up is the windshield washer fluid -- check brake wear, tire wear/condition, check the underside of the car for damage -- a service ago the tech spotted a nice hole in the driver's side rail plastic panel of the 996, something got kicked up and punched an ugly (but harmless) hole in the panel (which I will have replaced the next service) -- CV boot condition and for any signs of fluid leaks or anything else amiss. The MAF as I mentioned above is not cleaned and the engine (and cabin) air filter I take care of myself.

Because of my location I can drop off the car key the day of the service and the SM will get a shuttle ride to my house and pick up and drive the car to the service department. After the service the car is washed and cleaned and then the SM runs the car back to my house. The dealer is probably not getting rich off of my oil services..

Anyhow, subsequent oil changes will have to you money ahead though you will probably not be a thorough on the servicing that is in addition to the oil/filter service. For me I do no longer want to keep jugs of anti-freeze, brake fluid, power steering fluid, even windshield washer fluid around to use to top up the fluids. I can't get the car in the air as well as the tech can with a full vehicle lift. Even disposing of the old oil is a chore as I have to carry the stuff to an autoparts store which accepts the oil for recycling.
boxster99 - Thursday, 27 June, 2013, at 3:04:54 pm
About $70 for me ($46 oil, $15 air filer, $10 oil filter)

With 4 cars in the house, it adds up if you take them to stealer. My LS460 requires 10 quarts every six months as requirement.

Thanks,
Tony
sounds like I did okay then
Steve (Morro Bay) - Friday, 28 June, 2013, at 12:15:29 am
even counting the $20 that I just spent for cat litter and a better oil container smileys with beer note to self, don't buy the cheapest oil catcher.
paulwdenton - Friday, 28 June, 2013, at 10:59:12 am
Good grief. I've been paying $152 for my indie to do the oil change and OEM filter. Darned if I'm going to spend even more money to do that dirty job myself.
you beat me Paul!
Steve (Morro Bay) - Friday, 28 June, 2013, at 1:08:32 pm
Granted, my number included about $90 in tools that you would normally only need to buy once. And think of all that fun I had with the cat litter smiling bouncing smiley
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Friday, 28 June, 2013, at 11:39:30 am
When I find t, I buy the 5 gallon jugs of Mobil 1 at Wal*Mart, add $10 for the filter. I also bought a half dozen crush rings when I ordered a filter from Pelican Part for a few bucks. I transfer the oil from the catch pans to empty laundry detergent bottles for free curbside recycling. I change mine every 5k
You mean 5 quart, right? *NM*
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 28 June, 2013, at 12:43:25 pm
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
The jugs are also great for getting the spent oil back to the parts store.
Re: You mean 5 quart, right?
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Friday, 28 June, 2013, at 9:00:50 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)
n/t

You're right, you have to go to Costco for the 5 Gallon jugs. winking smiley
Re: You mean 5 quart, right?
atwnsw - Sunday, 30 June, 2013, at 5:50:57 pm
BoxsterBob - San Carlos
Pedro (Weston, FL)
n/t

You're right, you have to go to Costco for the 5 Gallon jugs. winking smiley

Or a plastic surgeon! smiling bouncing smiley
Cost of oil, filter should be about $65-75
grant - Sunday, 30 June, 2013, at 7:05:45 pm
2 x 5 qt jugs of oil at $25-30 (M1, Edge/syntek, etc.)
1 x filter $15

where's $161 come from?

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
read above. tools etc. *NM*
Steve (Morro Bay) - Sunday, 30 June, 2013, at 8:10:40 pm
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2013 08:11PM by Steve (Iowa). (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login