Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Has anybody tried ACPRO?
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Friday, 28 June, 2013, at 8:55:37 pm
I heard a radio ad for an AC recharge product - ACPRO. Has anybody used it in a Boxster? After 14 years, my '99 is still cool, but I recall it being a lot cooler. I know Freon is a tricky product, so I assume this is something else. Is this snake oil or could I help get through the triple digit weather we're experiencing here in CA? ACPRO AC Recharge
AC PRO is ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 29 June, 2013, at 11:41:41 am
... standard refrigerant 134A packaged with a gauge and trigger for DIY.
Nothing special about it.
Oh, wait a minute, they said it's an Ultra Synthetic Formula, not just Synthetic.
That's special. winking smiley
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Has anybody tried ACPRO?
thom4782 - Saturday, 29 June, 2013, at 12:58:13 pm
Recharging the AC system is pretty simple. Whether you use AC Pro or another product, make sure the delivery system contains a gauge so you can make sure you do not overfill the system.

IIRC, the procedure is simple. Start the car, set the AC at maximum (the lowest temperature possible on the AC display), shake the 134a can, attach to the low pressure valve near the expansion value, open the delivery system valve and allow the system to fill.

When purchasing a recharge product, look for several things. Use either pure 134a or a can with oil mixed in. When I recharged my system, I used a can with 134a and UV dye included so I could look for leaks several days after the refill. One thing to avoid is a recharge kit that contains stop leak. Most of these stop leak products will either clog your system or the recovery equipment at AC repair shops.
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Saturday, 29 June, 2013, at 3:23:02 pm
Thanks guys. This product does have a gauge and decent DIY page on their site, so I think I may be recharging soon. BTW everybody knows Ultra Synthetic leaves Synthetic in the dust! winking smiley
thom4782 - Saturday, 29 June, 2013, at 4:54:18 pm
The AC Pro video is excellent. It explains exactly how to recharge the system.

However, the AC Pro product apparently has a 'stop leak' additive. Do not use it in your system. While it may work, it may also clog your system especially the receiver drier. This can lead to a costly repair job. And many AC repair shops will not work on a car with stop leak in its AC system. Find a can of 134a refrigerant (with oil and UV dye included or not) and use it. My local Autozone shop here in Redwood City gave me a free fill line with a gauge included when I bought a can of Quest 134a Subzero Refrigerant.
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Sunday, 30 June, 2013, at 12:57:42 pm
Thom4782, I read your post a day too late. I bought a can of AC Pro at Pep Boys - San Carlos (apparently we're neighbors smiling smiley ) and recharged. The AC is MUCH colder, hopefully there won't be any detrimental results. I guess if I screwed it up, I'll pick up a discarded HVAC unit from a spec racer. smiling smiley Keepin' it cool in San Carlos, it was 96 yesterday.
thom4782 - Sunday, 30 June, 2013, at 7:23:20 pm
Re: We did a FirstUse write-up of it here...
chris & 987 - Tuesday, 2 July, 2013, at 10:03:04 am
RainyDayGarage
[www.rainydaymagazine.com]

I thought it was a great write up and will be using this advise this summer. Thanks for the information.

BTW: Ultra is always better than regular.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login