Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
My boxster is leaking battery acid
newt - Saturday, 6 July, 2013, at 8:32:55 pm
I pulled out of the garage today and when I returned I noticed battery acid drips all the way down the driveway. Each drip was about the size of a quarter and they were 2 feet apart or less. A small pool had formed under the battery area of the car. I tested with baking soda and it was acid for sure. I have a Bosch lead acid battery. Inspection of the battery compartment showed nothing out of order. I assume the acid is draining through the overflow pipe to the ground. This batter had dene this before when using a cheaper batter maintainer but I just purchased and had used a battery tender plus so it shouldn't have over charged. I checked the water level and it was slightly overfilled (about 1/4 inch from the top) but I'm quite sure that I didn't overfill it last time I checked in February. Can the level increase to overfill? Anyone ever have this experience? I will take a turkey baster and get the water level back where it should be but not sure how it got that high.
to check the battery fluid level after the battery is charged. IIRC this is when the battery fluid is at its highest level. I do not know why.
I did not realize the level rises with full charge...
newt - Sunday, 7 July, 2013, at 5:20:39 pm
that may explain it. If I topped the water level off when it was not fully charged because my old charger wasn't working right, then I hook up the new charger ....that would explain it. Thanks.
The heat from charging could cause something to expand?
Re: My boxster is leaking battery acid
jwdbox - Sunday, 7 July, 2013, at 6:41:54 pm
I have read in several places that you should only add distilled water after the battery is fully charged and warm (from charging). cool smiley
good point Rainy Day, the water won't expand...
newt - Tuesday, 9 July, 2013, at 7:38:00 pm
at least not in a practical amount, but the lead certainly will, never considered that. That explains why JWbox read "fill after warm from charging".....thanks all
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login