Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Damn, caliper bolt cross-threaded or otherwise damaged
grant - Friday, 12 July, 2013, at 8:35:52 pm
One of the caliper bolts was tight all the way out. Upon examination the threads in the hub are damaged (rounded).

I need to take a better look at the bolt - something about the bolt end looks wrong too....but i need better light and some time.

Any advice, aside from a M12 x 1.5 tap?

Another reason to do the work yourself. Pros hurry, adn thee things are the result - and the owner was of course unaware.

Grrrrrrrr.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
When in doubt, tap it out...
Laz - Friday, 12 July, 2013, at 8:46:10 pm
and the best part: Lube it in!
Timesert *NM*
Boxsterra - Saturday, 13 July, 2013, at 2:48:15 am
The good news:
grant - Saturday, 13 July, 2013, at 8:44:42 am
A buddy called and said he'd join us today. Retired machinist with two old 911s (just won 2nd place at parade). It suddenly became his problem :-)

Grant

Grant

Re: Damn, caliper bolt cross-threaded or otherwise damaged
Ed B - Saturday, 13 July, 2013, at 9:04:49 am
The end of the bolt is exposed to the atmosphere. When it gets wet, the bolt and aluminum hub corrode. The threads will be damaged when the bolt is removed. Not an uncommon problem. Cure is a Timesert or a new hub, and a new bolt. Been there.

Ed B
can recut the damaged material and clean up the thread form it can't replace the damaged material so the thread is weak and could strip when the fastener is tightened.
Here's the (Happy) not-quite-ending
grant - Sunday, 14 July, 2013, at 9:07:13 am
As time progressed, i went from ONE stripped/damaged set of threads to 3, plus one of the bolts holding down the brake lines was cross-threaded and juts broke off. With great luck, one of my PCA buddies came by and he's a retired machinist. All problems solved. Taps worked well.

To make matters worse, one of the front strut (shock) nuts and threads was so rusted that the allen began to round counter-holding it. The resident magician cut off the bolt *without damaging the shock threads*. Amazing.

Anyway, all new control arms are in, new tarrett toe links, sway bars and new bushings, new PSS9s, nee mounts, new mcpherson bearings (strut top bearings - F), brakes fixed, calipers cleaned (inside, pistons.

The one thing i'm not entirely happy with is that the CV bolt (6, inner) had residual Moly grease on them. Hard to get all off. So we did not mix it with lock-tite but did double-torque them all (torqued, then went back and gave them another, oh, 1/16 turn if possible).

Braces, techno-brace, etc are all off since i'm awating the magic porsche gear oil (Shell Spirax, with Porsche co-label).

Tool count:

1 broken 1/2-3/8 dapter
1 shattered 18mm deep socket
1 broker drill bit

I set the PSS9s at 5mm below the top of their valid range (they have a 15mm range from lowest valid height to highest, i was down 5mm or up 10mm).

Grant

Grant

Did you just tap it/them?
The caught very positively when i put the calipers back on. I never touched the one he drilled nad tapped.

Grant

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login