Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Adding a Piezo Buzzer to my Turn Signals.
Petee_C - Tuesday, 16 July, 2013, at 11:19:17 pm
After driving straight for about 10 minutes and 10 miles with my turn signal on, I'd like to add a 12v piezo buzzer to my turn signal so that I get the idiot warning that it is on. Can someone help me out with the electrical diagrams in Bentley's? I think I need a degree in electrical engineering to figure this one out.

I'm trying to figure out, if.....
- I can hook it up to the hazard relay?
- if I tap into the turn signal wiring at the bulb, I would need 2 buzzers? The buzzers were cheap $2.95, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I need to add a 2nd one.

I wonder if the return spring is weak on my turn signal stalk. If I merge onto a road, and the road is only a 60 degree turn, the signal stalk never goes back to neutral on it's own. If it's a 90 degree turn or more, the signal stalk returns to neutral.

There doesn't appear to be a signal relay in the relay panel on initial look at bentleys.

THanks,
Peter
'01S
Might be easier to...
bar10dah - Wednesday, 17 July, 2013, at 11:05:59 am
...buy a loud relay. When I broke the turn signal return gear in my '88 S-10, I bought a turn signal relay built specifically to be louder so I would be reminded to turn it off. IIRC, the standard relay was $5 and the extra loud one was $10, so very inexpensive. And it was a snap to replace.
Will this work?
bar10dah - Wednesday, 17 July, 2013, at 11:10:54 am
Okay, so it's gone up a few bucks since the early 90s...

[www.autozone.com]

This would definitely save you a lot of wire tracing and soldering time. smiling smiley
Re: Might be easier to...
Petee_C - Wednesday, 17 July, 2013, at 12:14:08 pm
Thanks. That's helpful. I will also look into the extra loud turn signal relay.

Didn't realize right away that the hazard relay (that's what it's called in Bentleys) is the relay that also does the turn signals. I can jam the small leads into the present relay and try it out.

P
OK, With Bar10dah's help, I've got the hazard relay out, and I've got the +ve on the buzzer to the switched +ve of the relay, and ground to ground. I get a faint buzz even with the turns off. Buzzer works great with the signals on.

How do I get rid of the little bit of leakage coming out of the relay when off?

Thanks,
Peter
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login