Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
... in their cars:

Really big rear brake ducts

[i83.photobucket.com]

active engine mount

[i83.photobucket.com]

the oil pan

[i83.photobucket.com]

but most importantly, if you look at the center of the image you'll see a black brace in between the oil pan and the aluminum skid plate.
This is the Technobrace which Porsche now installs in the 981s.
I'm waiting for my royalties. (yeah, right!)

this is a better view of the brace

[i83.photobucket.com]

there are also two very cool-looking exhaust manifolds

[i83.photobucket.com]

and the new skid plate under the tranny.

[i83.photobucket.com]

All in all I'm impressed.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2013 11:23PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
They probably could with some modifications because the control arm to where it mounts on the 981 is completely different from the 986/987.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

I knew I had rear brake ducts and the stiffer rear end
MikenOH - Friday, 19 July, 2013, at 11:06:08 pm
but I skipped the active engine mount. Those exhaust headers look like what you would get from a specialty aftermarket supplier--a very free flowing design.

Pedro--I always thought the technobrace was a terrific addition for any owner that did auto-x or DEs.
couple of observations:
Cris - Saturday, 20 July, 2013, at 12:23:35 pm
- the cross members on the skid plate look rather flimsy. On the 987/6, you could jack up the rear of 987/6 at those members - they are solid pieces of aluminum. The 981's use what appears to be corrugated aluminum/steel/metal piece - not sure you can/want to do the same on the 981. Maybe that's how they are managing weight on the new cars.

- the headers look equal-length, which I don't believe was the case in the 987/6's. I wonder if that contributes/adds to the exhaust burbling on the 981's. I wonder if diameter of these headers are also larger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2013 12:24PM by Cris. (view changes)
Thanks Pedro. Interesting tk see.

I didn't know the 981 had a dynamic engine mount. I was only aware of the dynamic trasmissiom mounts as part of the spoert chrono package.
What do active engine and transmission mounts do?
Bobtesa - Monday, 22 July, 2013, at 7:15:57 am
Would you notice a difference with or without them in "fun" street driving, or is there a difference only as you reach the limits as you would on a track? When I am on the street I may do some hard corning, but nothing like when I drove in DE where others were not in danger and there are walls and run off areas.
Bobtesa
Would you notice a difference with or without them in "fun" street driving, or is there a difference only as you reach the limits as you would on a track? When I am on the street I may do some hard corning, but nothing like when I drove in DE where others were not in danger and there are walls and run off areas.

They way I understand it from the Porsche website, is that as you drive more aggressively, the active transmission and/or motor mounts will stiffen up to reduce the amount that the drivetrain shifts around during fast cornering in some what the same way that PASM does with the active suspension.

In the Boxster, the dynamic transmission mounts are part of the Sport Chrono package. I wasn't aware that the 981 comes with a dynamic engine mount. I thought those were only available on the 991.
I use the term ....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 22 July, 2013, at 6:25:40 pm
... in a generic way meaning that the engine is supported by a front engine mount and two rear tranny mounts.
You are technically correct in that they are transmission mounts, not engine mounts.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Re: I use the term ....
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 22 July, 2013, at 8:48:08 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... in a generic way meaning that the engine is supported by a front engine mount and two rear tranny mounts.
You are technically correct in that they are transmission mounts, not engine mounts.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Thanks Pedro. Just going by the description on the Porsche website. I take it this car has Sport Chrono if it has the active transmission mounts?

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login