Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Track/project car update
grant - Friday, 19 July, 2013, at 4:12:33 pm
The had stuff is done.

At this point, i've had a primo alignment and corner weighting done by a local shop where the owner's "other job" is on-track engineer at ALMS and Grand-AM for [insert big tire company here]. he knows his stuff.

i also put on a set of the new BFG G-force RIVAL street legal track tires (255/40 and 225/45-17). They are designed for, among other things, SCCA RT stock Solo and any series that requires street tires. Direct competitor is the RA-1, i would guess.

The result is startling. Both Chris ( the aforementioned engineer) and i had the same reaction: "this can't be a track car or track tire, its way to nice on the street". Rides beautifully. Incredible control so far, although i've had zero chance to push it ( i like my license and don't push it in residential neighborhoods). I've got it about 1" - 1.25" below stock, nearly zero toe everywhere, and -1.25 deg camber in both fronts (max achievable with zero cross camber); -2.0 rear.

It must be a combination of the many new parts, good riding track tires, and a really nice ride/handling trade-off for the PSS9s ( as noted, set at the moment at 6), but this thing rides better than my base boxster on factory M030 motorsports suspension ( also new within the year).

For those who suffer as their cars slowly deteriorate - this car rides BETTER than it did with stock suspension. I realize this makes no sense, but it does. I think part of the magic is new stuff - bushings, strut mounts, etc - and everything refreshed, torqued, aligned, etc. It just feels good. No rattling, no oscillating, and very little crashing. The tires must have something to do with it - they are always the first order NVH factors.

I had a very similar experience when i put the KW/ST coilovers in my Audi S6 avant ( and did the same sort of restoral, and did that work myself too)

I cant wait to get some serious miles on it.

real report after WG, beginning of August.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sounds great, Grant--bring it to VIR *NM*
MikenOH - Saturday, 20 July, 2013, at 8:22:42 am
So you should see it.

Grant

Grant

I'm sure you know Porsche warns against the use of track tires due to oiling issues under high g loads. Have you modified the sump on the motor?
Excellent
Boxsterra - Saturday, 20 July, 2013, at 5:20:24 pm
Sounds like a great ride.
I'm well aware of the issue. No sump...yet.

Thanks for the warning though.

Grant

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login