Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I haven't owned my 2002 S since November 2009, but got a letter in the mail this weekend regarding filing a claim. I was fortunate, when my IMS went, in Oct. 2003, the car was under warranty. I was on a roadtrip to Chicago to see a Cubs playoff game. PCNA couldn't have handled my situation any better. They paid for my hotel in Toledo, which I was stopping for the night anyway. They paid for the rental to get me to Chicago and the one-way plane tickets to get my wife and I back to DC. My car was shipped back, all fixed with a new engine, in two weeks time. I was riding the subway to work back then, so, I didn't need a rental during the down time, which I'm positive PCNA would have provided. If that shaft went five years later, I think I'd have a completely different feeling towards the brand, particularly stuck on the road, so far from home. The best thing Porsche has done, in my opinion, is design that evil device out of the new engines. Particularly, since I've been driving a shaftless Porsche for almost four years now. I stopped driving at 1:00 a.m., it could have been pretty bad if the shaft went an hour earlier. It is cold, dark and isolated in that part of Ohio during that time of year. Who knows, maybe even no cell reception. Glad I didn't have to find out first hand.
" I was on a roadtrip to Chicago to see a Cubs playoff game." It wasn't "Game 5" vs. the Marlins, was it? Maybe the curse of the goat got that IMS? smiling smiley We're all Cubs fans in my family.
That was a fun game drinking smiley

I, too, received the IMS legal package....nine months after selling my 986.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Luckily, no. It was the Atlanta series in the NLDS. Couldn't get tickets to the NLCS games.
Re: Web site regarding IMS settlement information
Ed(Arizona) - Monday, 22 July, 2013, at 2:44:52 pm
This is the Web site for the IMS settlement information - there is a very short time frame for filling forms requesting reimbursement for 2001 to 2005 repairs.

IMS Settlement Web site

That's all I know - just got 3 Form letters in the mail today.

We have no IMS failure to claim . . . 96K + and still running good.

Regards,

Roy Turner
Phoenix, AZ
2002 Boxster S Cobalt/Blk/Blk
I cannot figure it out from the mailing, but didn't read it too closely as I'm not filing since I had no out-of-pocket expense. Could taking proactive measures to replace the bearing or install the LENS (?) kit be considered an "IMUS related engine repair?" I doubt it. I'm wondering if it a rebuild for those who caught the failure in time to save the engine. But, regardless, if I was making a claim, however, I'd throw in the entire kitchen sink--towing, parts, labor, car rental, hotel expense if on the road, shipping home if on the road, bearing replacement/upgrade, etc. I think lots of Porsche owners keep documentation to the work they've done on their cars. So, it should be easy enough to file a claim. Let the lawyers decide what will stick to the wall. Taking the time to copy your documentation and filling out the claim form is worth a shot of getting several hundred dollars back. A couple of years ago, the wife and I did the paperwork to make a class action claim from a credit card settlement over foreign currency conversions (ie, using a credit card on foreign trips). We ended up getting money back. Not much, but enough for a decent dinner out.

I feel sorry for the people who purchased used cars that were not CPO. From what I can tell, they'll only get 25% of their expenses back. Original owners get anywhere from 100 to 40% back, depending on the miles when the IMUS failure happened. CPO cars get the best with 100% for milegage below 100,000.
Any IMS related expense...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 24 July, 2013, at 11:32:49 am
... whether it was a bearing upgrade or simple replacement is included.
The expense must have been incurred during the first 10 years after the car was put in service, so check your dates.
Porsche will reimburse 100% of the expense to the owner if he/she is the original owner and 25% to second owners.
That's the gist of it, but there's a lot of fine print, and since my '98 is excluded I really haven't studied it much.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I thought i read in teh original version that was circulated, that if we did an IMS preventative upgrade (e.g.: put the LN kit in a good motor) that we were excluded. If that is the case, it would be best to take one's self out of the class adn then sue directly.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Got mine last Saturday
jg wnc - Tuesday, 23 July, 2013, at 10:03:36 am
My '02S is still running strong. I check the oil filter every time I change oil, and so far no sign of anything suggesting any kind of problem. The claim form has to be returned by October 15. So far, I have no claim, but I'll hang onto the information just in case.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login