Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Transmission thoughts, Help.
Jaay - Monday, 22 July, 2013, at 5:50:09 pm
I have a 05 cayman 5 speed tranny and once again I have a rattle and noise while rolling in first, second third. This happened on my original 99 5 speed also. It works fine and shifts great. I did just change the fluid to royal purple to try and quiet it down, there was some small metal shavings in the fluid. I am now looking into 6 speed transmissions. I have found a few on the web and are between 1400 - 8k.. Miles from 101k-new. My question is first does anyone have one they want to sell and next what is the absolute limit to on miles to purchase a 6 speed tranny. I have been told that it is now worth rebuilding my 5 speed but I don't want to go through this again with another 5 speed. Any input would be great.

Jason
Jaay
I have a 05 cayman 5 speed tranny and once again I have a rattle and noise while rolling in first, second third. This happened on my original 99 5 speed also. It works fine and shifts great. I did just change the fluid to royal purple to try and quiet it down, there was some small metal shavings in the fluid. I am now looking into 6 speed transmissions. I have found a few on the web and are between 1400 - 8k.. Miles from 101k-new. My question is first does anyone have one they want to sell and next what is the absolute limit to on miles to purchase a 6 speed tranny. I have been told that it is now worth rebuilding my 5 speed but I don't want to go through this again with another 5 speed. Any input would be great.

Jason

same viscosity.

It is not uncommon to find some metal bits in the transmission fluid, at least at the first fluid change. These were there when the tranny left the factory.

How bad is the noise? Does it really signal the transmission is on its way out? Shifts fine. Works fine. Doesn't sound bad to me.

The problem with the 6-speed is the gearing is not optimum for the base engine. Also, my limited experience is the 6-speed shifts much slower than the 5-speed.

There is probably an upper limit to the miles beyond which you should steer clear of a 6-speed (or any tranny) but what they are I can't say. A new one can be bad if it suffered some premature failure or was abused/misused. And this is true of any tranny. Even if it has not suffered from this it could just be worn out.

The best advise I can offer is buy from a reputable place that if the "new" tranny proves to be bad out of the box, so to speak, it will offer you an exchange or possibly even your money back. You'll be out the labor and maybe shipping but not the cost of the tranny then.
In the good 'ol days ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 26 July, 2013, at 7:42:05 am
... a little bit of sawdust in the differential really quieted it down.
I know a few guys who did this just before selling their trucks.
Talking about viscosity winking smiley
Happy Porsche'ing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Transmission thoughts, Help.
Jaay - Monday, 22 July, 2013, at 8:26:03 pm
Thanks for the advice. I have a 3.4 engine in my car. The noise is less than acceptable. I am on the hunt for a tranny now. The fluid was changed in it last May. 75/90 for both changes. last years change was with fluid from porsche. This years was royal purple. I don't miss shifts or abuse it anymore than it shouldn't be. I drive about 5000 miles a year and half of that is to brbs. smiling smiley
And of course my objection to using a 6-speed with the base engine doesn't apply.

It is simple then: It reads like all you have to do now is find and install a good 6-speed.
Now I just need to find one. If anyone has any leads on a good one please let me know.
There is Los Angeles Dismantler, www.ladismantler.com and Vertex Auto at www.vertexauto.com for starters.
Re: Couple of ads in the latest Panorama
Jaay - Tuesday, 23 July, 2013, at 4:58:33 pm
I bought my motor from la dismantler. I should call them.
I dont know what factory mods occurred for the 01As - straight cut gears i don know, but it might not think 295 is a lot.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login