Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Missing the rear trunk storage
Len In Naples - Tuesday, 30 July, 2013, at 11:02:24 pm
I have had my 2014 991 Carrera S Cabriolet for three weeks already an I love this car but I really do miss my Boxster and Cayman rear trunks to store stuff. Yes I have a nice full leather rear seating area to put stuff for road trips but with the floor hump and the risk of damaging the leather it makes one think out how to maximize the use of that rear seat area. If you want to use the wind screen you also need to be careful to keep you parcels low enough to avoid contact during wind screen deployment. With my Cayman I has a luggage guard that allowed you to pile up the top area of the back trunk. Ah life is full of trade offs. No on the other hand the new Rhodium Silver paint is beautiful with the red top and full red leather interior and the deviating black carpeting - WOW.

I must confess I am mad about the sport exhaust, what a sound of a melodious farting sound when you let up on the gas. My wife does not like that at all, not the loudness, but rather the crude utterances of the exhaust note - like you had too many beans for lunch!!!! I guess that is a guy thing. The car only has 300 miles on it so I have yet to really try it out but I have managed to get a few full throttle spurts and it is awesome. Now I am still getting used to the PDK. In auto it shifts up to 7th as fast as it can with light throttle so I most always manual shifter and it works great and the plus side is my wife's head does not go back and forth with my shifting as in the past. Without a clutch no feathering the gas to get full launch effect with exhaust etc. I do not have any regrets about the PDK though it just takes time to get used to but I could never out-shift a PDK.

A few gripes - No rear back up camera option and when the top is up there is a big blind spot when backing into traffic. The sensors are fine but nowhere near as effective as a camera with turning radius on the screen. I could have used the additional lighting you get with the PLUS package but that forces you into the keyless entry systems I did not want. Sun coast does offer some LED lights to replace the front trunk, glove box, and driver and passenger with brighter LED lights which helps better than the factory bulbs. The Suncoast rear seat lighting kit cannot be installed easily on your own and you need a PWIS device to program after the installation.

The quality of the ride is fantastic even with the big 20 inch wheels. I did opt for the wheel and tire insurance this time. I would post pictures but I do not use any of the free picture hosting site so no to share until I sign up and move them over to a picture sight. The bottom line is I loved my Boxster and my Cayman S, still am thrilled with my Cayenne S but the new 991 Cab S is another thrilling ride. If I win the lottery I want to add a GT3 or a Turbo S next but Florida needs to fix their un-random number generator used to pick quick pick numbers if I ever hope to win

Len In Naples.
the rear trunk gets both laptops, my carrying case that has papers and mail and such along with sometimes lunch (and someitmes breakfast and dinner too if it is going to b be a long day in the office), and my jacket. Everything is out of sight and the cabin is empty.

When I take the 996 a laptop goes behind each front seat (on the floor in the gap between the back of the seat and the rear seat) and the carrying case goes on the rear seat behind me. My jacket goes on the passenger seat. Not quite as neat and quick as it is with the Boxster.
The one thing I remember with my 99 Boxster the rear trunk got very hot so I would not store anything that could get overheated. I do not recall that that was the same in the Cayman S but the AC could enter from the main cabin though. Sandwiches? Maybe you could heat them back there?
A very subtle but very effective feature. Hadn't given it a conscious thought, but subliminally assumed it was other cabin lighting that was illuminating them. Can't recall if the 986 has them, but I imagine it and the 987 do.
Long lasting phosphorescent *NM*
Laz - Thursday, 1 August, 2013, at 2:20:41 pm
Re: Missing the rear trunk storage
db997S - Wednesday, 31 July, 2013, at 10:25:50 am
I agree. Wish the automatic windscreen was an aftermarket option for earlier cars. Also, wish they'd do the rear seat delete option, but I only think that's available on the GT3 model. I've often thought of trying to find a custom shop to remove the rear seats, build a low box with a lid for hidng things and then have the lid surface to place larger items. There is a bunch of room back there if your remove the seats and all their cushion material. In almost four years of ownership, I've had small neices back there twice, that's it. No other humans have occupied the rear seats.
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 31 July, 2013, at 5:58:39 pm
...and you want us to feel sorry for you, Len? winking smiley

I use one of these, and it works very well:

Lucky you, it's on sale, but temporarily out of stock! Car-organizer

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Len In Naples - Wednesday, 31 July, 2013, at 6:39:54 pm
Gary,

Thanks for the idea on the storage gizmo. Off course I want you to feel sorry for me as I owe the bank a lot of money. On the other hand on bad days on the market you could lose enough in a single trading day to pay for a new 911 and that really sucks even if it was a paper loss.
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 31 July, 2013, at 6:47:21 pm
Len In Naples
Gary,

......On the other hand on bad days on the market you could lose enough in a single trading day to pay for a new 911 and that really sucks even if it was a paper loss.

Now I don't feel sorry for you anymore, Len cool smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Friday, 2 August, 2013, at 1:11:53 pm
Sounds like a missed opportunity for the bed liner companies; 911 Back Seat Liner. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login