Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I've had intermittent "depress clutch" warnings and fail to start problems, so I am replacing the clutch switch (the grey one, not the red cruise control one) on my 2008 987. There is only one screw holding it in place, but the screw head faces towards the side of the footwell and you can't directly see it. I put my iphone camera up there and it looks like a small square type screw head. It's not torx, hex, or phillips. I have some square head screw bits (for deck screws), but they are all too big. Does anyone know what the right tool bit driver and size is correct?

Current Love: 2008 RS60; 1st Love: 2001 base, triple black
beyond that you have to check your local tool store

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 09:24AM by grant. (view changes)
Thanks all. I'll keep looking for the smaller square bits.

Current Love: 2008 RS60; 1st Love: 2001 base, triple black
Replaced mine a couple years ago. Don't recall buying a specific tool for the job. I DO recall using a mirror and standing on my head. And a sore neck. Fixed the problem though.

This link may help - read the whole thing, including the comments, as some people refer to Philips screws.

[www.pelicanparts.com]

and this photo may help.

[www.renntech.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 09:53AM by Roger987. (view changes)
If you are removing it, I assume it is bad. I went through a few of them. I replaced the clutch and the brake switch together as they were made the same way. I think they improved them around 2005 or so. When they failed, they would show up on the Porsche computer not throw a dash light... odd. I think the brake switch went first and I would stall the car on launch if I wasn't careful.... odd, the dealer thought the traction control was confused because it thought the brake pedal was depressed when it wasn't.

Just grab it and twist, don't even think much about it.

For installation of the new part, that is quite difficult and the stamped metal of the hole bites into the switch. Take a nail file and grind the leading edges of the switch edges to make it twist on fine - just round the edges. The leading edges do not effect the overall friction of the switch staying in place.

Use ibuprofen...standing on your head is required.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 07:15PM by Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S). (view changes)
They are self-adjusting so don't be tempted to play with the switch and push in the plunger. The pedals will do that and in doing so, will set the depth.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Good tip. I hope i dont need it anytime soon.... *NM*
grant - Friday, 16 August, 2013, at 8:05:41 pm
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login