Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Elongated Panamera Exec.....
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 27 August, 2013, at 1:45:37 pm
@ $140K+ Why???

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Re: Elongated Panamera Exec.....
db997S - Tuesday, 27 August, 2013, at 2:42:47 pm
Because there is money and a market for such vehicles in Asia. Porsche has really pushed into the Asian markets and as of now, it's where their growth is projected. America used to be their market of choice, think that's probably why the SUV, but Porsche's future growth and bottom line success is Asia, at least that's what they are banking on at the moment. Sports cars aren't big their because of the roads, so stretch out the length to soften the blow. Just my guess to answer why. Also, the back seats of a Panamera are so freaking comfy. It would make a great executive car. I'd take one to the airport over a Town Car or Seville.
Re: Elongated Panamera Exec.....
m4240z - Tuesday, 27 August, 2013, at 4:44:37 pm
There was a time when Porsche was a sports car company selling sports cars. Today Porsche is a luxury brand, like Hermes, Louis Vuitton, Rolex -- all of which make fine products in their respective industries, but they will use the Porsche brand to their commercial advantage. The Panamera and the Cayenne both outsell the Boxster/Cayman and 911s presently, and Porsche has the highest profit per vehicle sold of any car manufacturer. Two seat sports cars is a limited market, and in fact, 1993 was one of their darkest years, selling a mere 3,713 cars in North America. This year, they will sell that amount ten fold. Of all of those cars, a full 2/3 of those cars are not sports cars, and I suspect that they can soak even more out of purchasers for the sedan and SUVs, because it can actually be your only car. Hard to have just a Boxster/Cayman/911 -- you need some kind of second car, normally, for those who need to carry more than one other person around.

So, if you're going to sell a luxury sedan, it might as well be a seriously luxurious sedan, because the owner may just be riding in the back seat.
... also own, have owned or will own a Porsche sports car?
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: But how many of those Panamera and Cayenne owners ...
m4240z - Tuesday, 27 August, 2013, at 10:29:16 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... also own, have owned or will own a Porsche sports car?
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

On a totally non-scientific base, I suspect far less than you would hope. I was at a 911 drive event a few years ago. Lots of people off the Cayenne list. None of whom could drive, and found the 911 intimidating, and really were mystified by it.
looks the same to Porsche as the money that a person pays who buys a 911 or another model of sports car.

And the money is nearly the same. I priced a Panamera the other day at $140K. Well, I didn't price it I was looking at cars on the showroom floor and noted the price of one nice looking car.
But from our local GCR-PCA membership list ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 28 August, 2013, at 11:03:49 am
... I see a lot of repeat owners purchasing trucks and sedans.
Happy Porsche'ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Gary in SoFL
n/t
Only if it doesn't sell. *NM*
MarcW - Wednesday, 28 August, 2013, at 5:07:40 pm
Because in certain cultures
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Wednesday, 28 August, 2013, at 3:59:53 pm
they pay to be driven around. See the oil states in the middle-east.

And the profit helps pay for the executive/corporate overhead that gets spread over a larger number of vehicles thus keeping the cost of the sports cars down.
The only thing that would stop Porsche...
TheFarmer - Wednesday, 28 August, 2013, at 5:34:45 pm
is a stretch Ferrari limo. Sell like gangbusters in last-year's China.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login