Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Programming the key
Joanne in OC - Wednesday, 4 September, 2013, at 10:03:01 pm
When I picked up my car 2 weeks ago, I stopped for dinner on my way home. I couldn't get my car to start, then tried the other key and the car started. Turns out the spare key was not programmed. Yesterday the dealer had my car and keys all day. They were not able to program my 2nd key. They are now ordering another key, which means my car goes in for another day at the dealer.

Since they were going to be programming my key, I asked them to stop the beeping when I lock my car. And to program the one touch and remote top into the key. Was originally told the car can't do these things. I asked them to research it and they found out it could be done. I asked them to program the key that does work to do these things. When I got to the dealer last night, they said they didn't program it because it would take hours. Said they can't just go in and change it on the screen that they have to do each screen over and reprogram the whole thing. It this true? ...... I hear that people go in and within 20 min they don't have the beeping in the car. Why do I keep getting these funny things from my dealer. I wish I knew someone who got their car from the same dealer to see if they get the same stories. I can't believe I am the only one who asked these questions.

I also asked about the email notification and being able to read them. They told me it can't be done, I believed them and left. Today I ran across a setting and I couldn't believe it, I could read my text and emails on the screen!!!!! This is actually kinda scary, hope people aren't reading and driving.

Joanne
Re: Programming the key
m4240z - Wednesday, 4 September, 2013, at 10:16:27 pm
Don't you wish you could just stick the key in the lock, turn it, open the door, start the car and just drive the damn thing?
YES!!!! .... I wish
Joanne in OC - Wednesday, 4 September, 2013, at 10:48:31 pm
One big problem I have is that I constantly lock my keys in the car. I have to have a hide-a-key. There's no lock to put the key in the door. I'm trying to figure out what to do ..... I know you are going to tell me you can't lock your keys in this car. Well, I was told the same thing in my first Boxster, and I did it multiple times. I'll do it again. If you look at my AAA, I max it out every year with them coming out to open my door sad smiley

Joanne
Re: YES!!!! .... I wish
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 4 September, 2013, at 11:16:11 pm
Joanne in OC
One big problem I have is that I constantly lock my keys in the car. I have to have a hide-a-key. There's no lock to put the key in the door. I'm trying to figure out what to do ..... I know you are going to tell me you can't lock your keys in this car. Well, I was told the same thing in my first Boxster, and I did it multiple times. I'll do it again. If you look at my AAA, I max it out every year with them coming out to open my door sad smiley

Joanne

There is a spare key inside the big key. It's in the bottom of the key. There's a slide to move over and slide out the key.

The lock is under the driver's side door handle. Just lift like you do to open the door. It's basically under your thumb.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
I was excited ....
Joanne in OC - Wednesday, 4 September, 2013, at 11:59:42 pm
to read your post and all smiles as I went into the garage to look.....

I knew about the spare key, dealer told me about it, friend showed me how to get it out and said it was to lock the glovebox.......

When I got to the car, I looked and looked, and looked 2 more times. I could not find the lock by the handle. I checked both sides. Now I feel really stupid, how come I can't find the lock?

Joanne
If it's the same as the 2013, here's how to see it:
Laz - Thursday, 5 September, 2013, at 2:28:54 am
Squat down so that you'll be able to see behind the driver's side handle once it's lifted. Lift the handle and you should be seeing the key slot.
What's wrong with the online manual is that even though it's ostensibly about the specific model chosen, it'll cover various features on different models willy-nilly. In the "Key" section, iirc, they show a video of how to get at the Cayenne's hidden slot, which requires keying open the handle from underneath, which, once lifted, exposes the unlock slot.
It's only on the driver's side. You have to lift the handle to see it underneath.

[www.porscheownersmanuals.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2013 08:20AM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
PS, you can get excited again. smiling bouncing smiley *NM*
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 5 September, 2013, at 8:14:48 am
Re: Here's the online page that shows the Boxster key lock.
Laz - Thursday, 5 September, 2013, at 8:58:33 am
Well, my lack of online navigation skill led me to a video with the Cayenne. The problem with the alphabetical listing is you have to guess at where Porsche will put the information you need. (It works for the printed manual because one can scan up to two pages at a time.) I was looking at the "K" (for Key) listings and... ok, I didn't look at all the categories... but still. So, how silly of me not to look at "U" for Unlocking! Near as I can tell only a video shows what to do, not any simple graphic as it is in print.
I didn't find the page directly either. I think I went to "Locking" and then clicked through the pages via the arrow/triangle at the top right of each page to find the page I wanted. It does work a lot like the paper manual.
YEAH!!!!!! I found it hot smileythe finger smiley
Joanne in OC - Thursday, 5 September, 2013, at 9:05:38 am
I guess it doesn't take much to get me excited ...... What would I do without you guys? I do feel much better, now I have to find a place to hide the key. Shouldn't the dealer be able to tell me these things?

Anyone want to come to California to show me how to work my car???? I have a feeling this is going to be a loooong process confused smiley

Joanne
In minimis deus est. *NM*
Laz - Thursday, 5 September, 2013, at 9:36:26 am
Re: YEAH!!!!!! I found it hot smileythe finger smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 5 September, 2013, at 9:40:00 am
Joanne in OC
I guess it doesn't take much to get me excited ...... What would I do without you guys? I do feel much better, now I have to find a place to hide the key. Shouldn't the dealer be able to tell me these things?

Anyone want to come to California to show me how to work my car???? I have a feeling this is going to be a loooong process confused smiley

Joanne

That's the beauty of a board like this. We can all help each other.

There are upsides and downsides to all this technology. Hidden lock makes the car look cleaner, but the owner has to learn to find it first. grinning smiley Lots of things that can be personalized in the OBC. After 6 weeks, I think I've finally got everything set to work the way I want. Nice to have all the options, but it takes time.

Different strokes for different folks. I really like the double beep when I lock the car as I walk away (This method makes it impossible to lock your key in the car). Tells me the car is properly locked up. My '06, I always had to look back to watch the lights flash (OK, I still like to do that smiling smiley ) to see if the car was actually locked.

Spare key: Why not just leave it in your purse or wallet? Less chance of someone watching you hide the spare somewhere on your car and using it later.
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Joanne in OC - Thursday, 5 September, 2013, at 9:50:56 am
My neighbor has already complained about the beeping. The other day he told me I woke him up when I got home and I didn't lock the car. Told him this car is quieter than my last. And the beeping was even worse for him.

Part of my problem is that lock my purse in the car. A lot of time, I have my keys on my tennis bag. Then I unlock the trunk when I get close, put my bag in the trunk and start talking to someone. Then without realizing it, I close the trunk and the front door has already locked and I left my keys attached to my tennis bag. When this happens, I do good for about a month, then go back to my bad habits. And sure enough, it happens again. .... Bad habits are hard to break.

Joanne
m4240z - Thursday, 5 September, 2013, at 9:09:37 pm
Guenter in Ontario
Joanne in OC

Joanne

That's the beauty of a board like this. We can all help each other.

There are upsides and downsides to all this technology. Hidden lock makes the car look cleaner, but the owner has to learn to find it first. grinning smiley Lots of things that can be personalized in the OBC. After 6 weeks, I think I've finally got everything set to work the way I want. Nice to have all the options, but it takes time.

Different strokes for different folks. I really like the double beep when I lock the car as I walk away (This method makes it impossible to lock your key in the car). Tells me the car is properly locked up. My '06, I always had to look back to watch the lights flash (OK, I still like to do that smiling smiley ) to see if the car was actually locked.

Spare key: Why not just leave it in your purse or wallet? Less chance of someone watching you hide the spare somewhere on your car and using it later.

Jeez Guenter, for a guy who wants a stickshift car, eschews bluetooth e-mail, you're really loving the gizmodish nature of the 981.....tongue sticking out smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 5 September, 2013, at 9:53:34 pm
Bluetooth email? Not me. Don't bug me with calls and messages (unless they're emergencies phone calls) while I'm driving. I like to enjoy one thing at a time. When I'm driving, I want to feel what the car is doing, how it sounds and dance through any curves with it.

When I talk to someone on the phone, I'll give them my full attention, which I don't think I can do when I'm driving.

I do like to know about the features in a car. That allows me to use the ones I'm interested in.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Wednesday, 4 September, 2013, at 10:38:20 pm
As to the key - my understanding is that they cannot program remote opening in the USA. All the rest of the world has it but , apparently because of some damn lawyers, they won't do it in the USA.

As to the"beep, beep", they should be able to do that in a few minutes. My early 2013 doesn't have email notification feature, but it sounds like your dealer doesn't know what it is doing. Is it a very small dealer? My dealer is one of the largest and, maybe because of more experience, handles most things pretty expeditiously.

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Joanne in OC - Wednesday, 4 September, 2013, at 10:53:20 pm
Yes, I'm aware of the lawyer problems, but I figured I'd ask. What's kinda funny is that they told me they could do it. We'll see, I'll let you know.

As far as the "beep beep", I asked them to just do this and that's when he told me about the different screens and that it would take a long time. I just think they didn't want to do it.

I got my car at McKenna, which is a very large dealership in LA (they gave me the best % off, and got my car here quick when I had to reorder). I have not been impressed with my sales person, but the sales manager is good. I heard the service manager was just recently promoted. He's been very kind and helpful but doesn't know the tech stuff very well. Maybe I'll meet one of the mechanics who does the piwis.

Joanne
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Wednesday, 4 September, 2013, at 11:26:41 pm
If you have any luck with the remote top opening, a lot of people would love to know. There is a company now that markets a module you can install that will give that capability. I believe there was even a group buy for it over on P9.

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2013 11:27PM by Lawdevil & CURVN8R. (view changes)
Joanne in OC - Thursday, 5 September, 2013, at 12:02:30 am
I've been reading P9. That's how I knew about the feature and the attorneys. Still don't understand the "why". ...... I did click on the link for the SmartTop, cost is $299 plus install. If I can't get the dealer to do it, I have another option to try and then will go to the SmartTop. The group buy is no longer valid. I tried, didn't work. I think it expired back in Feb. With more people getting cars, may be time for another group buy smiling smiley

Joanne
MikenOH - Sunday, 8 September, 2013, at 8:49:29 am
Joanne in OC
Yes, I'm aware of the lawyer problems, but I figured I'd ask. What's kinda funny is that they told me they could do it. We'll see, I'll let you know.

As far as the "beep beep", I asked them to just do this and that's when he told me about the different screens and that it would take a long time. I just think they didn't want to do it.

I got my car at McKenna, which is a very large dealership in LA (they gave me the best % off, and got my car here quick when I had to reorder). I have not been impressed with my sales person, but the sales manager is good. I heard the service manager was just recently promoted. He's been very kind and helpful but doesn't know the tech stuff very well. Maybe I'll meet one of the mechanics who does the piwis.

Joanne

Have you received your questionnaire from Porsche yet on how the purchase went?
Usually, dealers are keen to get excellent responses, so you might mention this to the "crew" at the dealership and see if that spurs some additional attention to the problem. The sales person and sales manager would be my focus--this is a new car and they should be your advocates.

Having said that, when it comes time for actual service work, you might want to look elsewhere if this dealership's attention to detail is that bad.
Good idea. Why give them a "mandatory" good review?
Laz - Sunday, 8 September, 2013, at 4:09:44 pm
Also, a search of that dealer's Yelp and Dealerrater reviews aren't very encouraging. And even the prospect of a poor questionnaire response might be a bargaining chip for better service.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2013 04:19PM by Laz. (view changes)
I know Mike's comment (Mike is/was a lawyer, after all ) was tongue-in-cheek, but...

It's not the lawyers who make the laws - it's the legislators who are elected by... you guessed it... the citizens.

In 'common law' jurisdictions, judges' decisions become the body of 'common law', referred to commonly, and accurately, as 'judge-made law'.

So, maybe blame the 'damned judges'?

Well, at the start of the process are the individual citizens, who want redress. They are the persons driving the case. At the end of the process are the judges who could throw out the case, but sometimes don't.

In the middle are the lawyers, who simply make the pitch on behalf of their clients. And if you're their paying client, you certainly want them to make the best pitch they can.

The lawyers didn't make the law, the judges did. And even if the lawyers asked for the ruling which ultimately (by virtue of the judge's decision) became law, they did so on their client's behalf.

It's convenient, and smug, and cool, to blame the 'damned lawyers'. It's also wrong. But of course, that isn't likely going to deter many people, unfortunately.
Not to mention
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Tuesday, 10 September, 2013, at 8:12:10 pm
that, in lots of places, the judges are citizen elected too.
Still no key sad smiley
Joanne in OC - Friday, 6 September, 2013, at 10:06:38 pm
GEEZ.... I'm so frustrated. Was told they ordered a second key and would be in on Thurs. No one called, so I called about 10:30 today. No one knew anything about a key for my car and that I had to speak with the service manager. He wasn't in and would call me in 45 min when he returned. 3:00 no call. I called again, no one still knew. After 10 min, they told me my key would be in on Tues. I have a feeling they never ordered it. I still was to speak with the service manager but he left again. I then asked to speak with the general manager, and was transferred to his voice mail, I left a message about 3:30. At 4:30, still no phone call from anyone. So I called the GM again, he said he'd get with the service manager and call me back in a few minutes. It's now after 7:00 and no response.

I have never had such terrible service before. This is in both the sales and now the service department. BTW, my sales guy has never called after I picked up my car to ensure things are ok.

f my key hadn't Iin yesterday, I would think someone would call and tell me and it would be in on another date. I would have accepted that. But to not even call or even return calls. ....... Am I expecting too much????

Joanne
Re: Still no key sad smiley
Van914 - Saturday, 7 September, 2013, at 6:46:41 am
Welcome to Customer Service Today.
It's a shame the Salesman isn't involved. I guess he doesn't need referrals and repeat business. It is hard to understand
On a Luxury Product like Porsche, the Dealership doesn't teach and monitor " Best Pratices" for customer service. There are Dealers
around who do this. One is here in Town (Porsche of the Villiage) and they have a growing and loyal client base.
Good Luck
Re: Still no key sad smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 7 September, 2013, at 8:30:44 am
Nope, I don't think you're expecting too much at all. Your service has been the total opposite of mine - both in sales and what limited service (ordered the clear side markers and the service manager just popped them in for me when I went to pick them up.) I've had.

I'd recommend checking around to find out about other dealers in your area that have a better service record. Once you find one, get all your service and warranty work done by them. They should be happy to do any warranty work for you since they get paid by Porsche.

I think you mentioned that your dealership is a really large one. It seems that once a dealership gets really big, there's more chance of you just being a number and things get lost in the shuffle.

Might be worth a call to Porsche customer service and explain what you've been going though..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login