Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Gasing Up / Starting Problem
martinef1963 - Saturday, 14 September, 2013, at 12:10:39 pm
Hello to all, I am new to the forum. I live in Miami and came across Pedro's Garage. My wife and I just purchased a 2000 Boxster and it has some projects that I will be tackling a little at a time. One of the immediate problems that I am having is after I fuel the car - it always does NOT want to start. I have to physically step on the pedal and make her rev high in order to force feed the gas. I do not allow the car to go below 1/4 tank fuel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated - one project at a time...

thanks,

Fernando
martinef1963
Hello to all, I am new to the forum. I live in Miami and came across Pedro's Garage. My wife and I just purchased a 2000 Boxster and it has some projects that I will be tackling a little at a time. One of the immediate problems that I am having is after I fuel the car - it always does NOT want to start. I have to physically step on the pedal and make her rev high in order to force feed the gas. I do not allow the car to go below 1/4 tank fuel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated - one project at a time...

thanks,

Fernando

That is, Is the engine hard to start at any other times: Cold, warm or hot? If only after you fill the tank there's a fuel tank vent problem that is routing excessive vapor possibly even raw gasoline to the engine.
The car has no problems starting cold, warm, or hot. It only has trouble starting after we gas it up. To try and further troubleshoot I filled the gas tank and just putting in $20.00, $15.00, etc... and every time I stopped and gassed - it created this problem.

thanks,

Fernando
but the symptoms point to excessive gasoline fumes perhaps even raw gasoline making its way to the engine when the engine is started after adding fuel to the tank.

One possibly is the valve that purges the charcoal canister is bad and upon engine start instead of dribbling its vapor contents out it dumps them out in one fell swoop.

Generally the venting system is checked for leaks by subjecting the tank to high or low pressure -- but much in either case -- and measuring how long the tank/vent system maintains this pressure difference. So I would think a CEL would have come on by now. Perhaps the failure is only at engine start and once the engine has started or upon a restart it corrects itself and then works fine when tested.

Just a WAG. An experienced tech should with the behavior know right off the top of his head what's wrong so that is where you should seek further counsel.
Thanks, I was hoping someone other than myself has had these symptoms on the forum.

Fernando
Re: Gasing Up / Starting Problem
Post Falls Rob - Tuesday, 17 September, 2013, at 6:49:02 pm
I read in another forum that these symptoms are indicative of the Regeneration Valve.
Here's a link to the part at Pelican Parts:
Part at Pelican Parts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2013 06:49PM by Post Falls Rob. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login