Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
2014 Cayman - Update
wewannaporsche - Sunday, 15 September, 2013, at 8:25:46 am
Quick update on the new Cayman

[/url]
Agate gray, PDK, Standard Black interior, PCM, Sport Chrono, 20 inch wheels.

Traded in the 2002 Boxster S for a Cayman at the end of August. I was going to spec a Boxster, but the dealer had this one on the lot and my wife and I thought why not try a hardtop for a change.

Break-in: Just over 800 miles to date. I typically follow the manufacturers recommendation for break-in and that means keep it under 4200 rpm, don't lug the engine and vary the RPMs. This is going well, I have been leaving it in manual mode and once warmed up accelerating through the gears and switching btw 5th and 6th on the highway. If you leave it in automatic mode it wants to go into 7th (overdrive). The car has not consumed any oil which doesn't surprise me, but the sales person mentioned, several times on different occasions, that I should monitor the oil level.

Power: Still in break-in so I haven't even really gotten to high point on the torque curve. The 2.7 has more power than then my 2002s had, that combined with an honest assessment of how I am going to use the car and the lower price is the reason I did not go with the S. I didn't drive the S so that probably saved me from making a rash decision tongue sticking out smiley. Having said that, this car seems to pile on the speed effortlessly so much so that I am thinking about installing a radar detector, that has been sitting in a drawer for the past few years.

Ride and Handling: I have the 20 inch wheels with Perrelli P Zero tires, and the stock suspension, and the ride is very good to excellent. This is a subjective thing, it is a sports car and I like a firm ride; it is not harsh or jarring imo and the suspension seems to absorb the bumps well. I have not tried the 30 psi comfort setting since that limits top speed to 165 mph and I've got places to go! The handling is fantastic the car changes direction immediately, I find the steering to be very good. The Cayman has me considering doing a few Driving Events.

PDK: I haven't had a manual since 2002, the Boxster was a TIP and that was ok. The PDK on the other hand is very nice, the rev matching down shifts are very cool. Still in break in so limited feedback at this time.

PCM: Standard Infotainment package. The sound quality is good, the ipod integration and navigation is very good; still getting to know all the features. I did spend some time trying to figure out SMS and Email and I believe that one needs the Telephone package and a SIM card OR a phone that supports the Bluetooth remote sim access profile (rSAP) something which iPhones do not support. I don't think any "standard" US phone supports rSAP; probably need to get an Andriod and install some 3rd party software.

Sport and Sport Chrono: No feedback at this time.

Instruments: I like the multifunction display the ability to see coolant and oil temperature in addition to oil pressure is nice. Plus you can display the map/navi, audio. The G-force meter is kind of neat but I don't think you should be looking at it while trying to maximize your speed through a corner; I think the data can be downloaded via the PCM, I'll leave that for another day.

Auto-Stop: Shuts engine down at a traffic light. I decided to turn it off during break in, rather have the oil circulating.

Sounds: I like the exhaust sound even when shifting at 4K, when you start the car it also makes a vroooom sounds, nice. The sound the car makes from the outside when one is standing next to it at idle is not too great, I hear a lot of whirring, and metallic noises, none of which can be heard from the inside of the car. The 2002S had a engine rumble once warmed up when idling.

Interior: The look and feel is great, Porsche has done a nice job here.

Extras: I added clear side marker lights and an Xpel clear bra. I also purchased a Glimore Foam Sprayer, it really works well, you can see it in action here:

[www.youtube.com]
I've heard nothing but good things about the new Cayman 981. Love the Agate Grey. It's just stunning.

Congrats again. Hope you enjoy many happy years of ownership.

Regards, -rick.
Nice report. *NM*
Laz - Monday, 16 September, 2013, at 8:59:45 am
Annnnd: Luscious car! *NM*
Laz - Monday, 16 September, 2013, at 9:51:36 am
Re: 2014 Cayman - Update
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 16 September, 2013, at 7:06:29 pm
Nice writeup. I agree about the 20" wheels. Even with my Sports Chassis, I'm surprised how compliant the ride is with the 20" wheels.

I always keep an eye on the oil level. Mine dropped one segment close to the 2,000 mile mark. I ended up adding about 4/10 of a quart and it's been up to the full mark since then.

After reading your post earlier, I got out of my car today once it was warmed up and didn't really hear much whirring or metallic noise. Maybe that will improve as you get it broken in. Even the sports exhaust sounds relatively tame at idle. Blip the throttle, accelerate or back off the gas and it's a whole other story. You'll probably notice it sounds better than your old car when you had the top up. The mechanic that did the PDI explained that the two "speakers" behind the seats are really there to transmit some of the intake and exhaust sound into the cabin through a "sound symposer". There's a bit of a writeup here related to the 991, but it also applies to the 981.
[www.sae.org]

The only time I've used the auto start/stop is when sitting in lineup at a border crossing. Other than that, I, like you, prefer to keep the engine running, oil circulating, alternator charging and most of all, save the wear and tear on the starter.

Sounds like you're enjoying the car and the quality of the fit and finish. They are fabulous cars.
Two comments
Laz - Monday, 16 September, 2013, at 7:58:17 pm
Instead of a Sound Symposer, give me a "Hypoy Oil Scent Emitter."
Interesting to see a deliberate "backfire" is programmed into throttle lift at high rpm. In the last 5000 miles or so, my car makes what I think is a somewhat annoying multiple splatter/backfire with throttle lift at mid to high rpms; only sometimes, and only during a 1-2 upshift. Why only on the 1-2 baffles me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2013 08:01PM by Laz. (view changes)
Re: Two comments
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 16 September, 2013, at 8:37:31 pm
Laz
Instead of a Sound Symposer, give me a "Hypoy Oil Scent Emitter."
Interesting to see a deliberate "backfire" is programmed into throttle lift at high rpm. In the last 5000 miles or so, my car makes what I think is a somewhat annoying multiple splatter/backfire with throttle lift at mid to high rpms; only sometimes, and only during a 1-2 upshift. Why only on the 1-2 baffles me.

Maybe by the 2-3 shift you're through the sound barrier?

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
grinning smiley *NM*
Roger987 - Tuesday, 17 September, 2013, at 3:55:16 pm
wewannaporsche - Tuesday, 17 September, 2013, at 8:18:57 am
Thanks for the feedback and the link to the SAE article. I will pay closer attention to the sounds the car makes and reach out to Herr Doktor Pfaefflin, Manager of Noise and Vibration, if necessary, or perhaps the dealer. What's next flames shooting from the exhaust?
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 17 September, 2013, at 8:27:45 am
There is an art to creating the sounds of cars. We, who drive Porsches, generally love the distinctive sound of the flat six. (Hey some of us even pay for the PSE to enhance that sound. winking smiley ) Porsche wants to make sure that their cars deliver on that.
I remember the first time I heard a Boxster
Roger987 - Tuesday, 17 September, 2013, at 4:15:44 pm
It was in 2003. I was with my dog, at a north entrance to Yellowstone Park, a LONG way from home. We were in my 3 series convertible (5 speed manual), which I thought was a pretty nice, and cool, car. Indeed it was, and still is, though now owned by a former girlfriend (and still very good friend). One day she will pay me for the car. No rush; it's only been 4 or 5 years. But that's another story. Back to the first time I heard a Boxster....

I was leaving the park, and stopped at an intersection. The Boxster was entering the Park. I saw it first; then I heard it, as it accelerated away.

And I thought, 'Wow. That's unlike anything I've ever heard, and it is OUTSTANDING."

6 years of Boxster ownership hasn't changed my perception one iota.

At BRBS this year, June 1 offered a 'free' afternoon. My brother, in his Z4, and I in my Boxster, went for a drive down the BR Parkway. When we'd come to tunnels, I'd slow down, wait for him to catch up, and then 'crank it' in second gear. Later he chuckled, and remarked that the day before, during the Fun Run, pretty much everyone in their Boxsters had done the same thing, every chance they got. I guess we all love the sound of our Boxsters smiling smiley
Interesting Article
wewannaporsche - Tuesday, 17 September, 2013, at 8:19:51 am
Thanks for the feedback and the link to the SAE article. I will pay closer attention to the sounds the car makes and reach out to Herr Doktor Pfaefflin, Manager of Noise and Vibration, if necessary, or perhaps the dealer. What's next flames shooting from the exhaust?
That's a very nice looking car. Congrats. *NM*
Rey - Tuesday, 17 September, 2013, at 10:54:54 am
That's a beautiful car...
grant - Friday, 20 September, 2013, at 6:55:02 pm
.. and yes, the 981s are pretty amazing. They'll run circles around 987/986 Ses.

Enjoy.

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
jacknyc - Monday, 30 September, 2013, at 5:47:47 pm
Interesting video re car wash techniques.

That was shot at Rennwerke Porsche in Elmsford NY, where P-car eye candy can always be seen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login