Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Seen the new 'vette?
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Friday, 11 October, 2013, at 4:08:44 pm
Having seen only 2 981s (Boxter content), saw my first new model 'vette today. White. Really nice. Owner tags, not dealers. Driven by a maniac. Chased by a beat up old pickup. I let both fly on by since I was in town and they were 15MPH over.

Yesterday, while sitting in a Toyota dealers' showroom waiting for a free oil change, read Car and Driver's comparison of the new 'vette and the new 911S. 'Vette won on price and beat the S by seconds on the track.

Are they in dealers' showrooms yet?
Re: Seen the new 'vette?
MikenOH - Friday, 11 October, 2013, at 10:38:22 pm
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC
Having seen only 2 981s (Boxter content), saw my first new model 'vette today. White. Really nice. Owner tags, not dealers. Driven by a maniac. Chased by a beat up old pickup. I let both fly on by since I was in town and they were 15MPH over.

Yesterday, while sitting in a Toyota dealers' showroom waiting for a free oil change, read Car and Driver's comparison of the new 'vette and the new 911S. 'Vette won on price and beat the S by seconds on the track.

Are they in dealers' showrooms yet?

The C&D review showed very similar performance across the board between the cars, with the Vette faster on one particular track.
The price differential between the 2 cars was staggering-- $60K(?).
I hope Chevy can keep the reliability/quality where it needs to be while avoiding the new model problems that Corvettes usually have.
thumbs upRe: Seen the new 'vette?
jwdbox - Saturday, 12 October, 2013, at 8:00:38 pm
I have seen it and fell for it head over heals. Amazing lines- especially on the Coupe with the easily removable single large roof panel. Fit and finish is unlike any prior Corvette (and that is certainly a good thing smiling smiley ). The technology represents a significant leap as well in this C7 series. Mine, RedHot, is do to be built any day now and then I will have a great get-to-know-her drive from the factory/Museum delivery back to Vega.cool smiley
Re: thumbs upRe: Seen the new 'vette?
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 12 October, 2013, at 11:57:47 pm
jwdbox
I have seen it and fell for it head over heals. Amazing lines- especially on the Coupe with the easily removable single large roof panel. Fit and finish is unlike any prior Corvette (and that is certainly a good thing smiling smiley ). The technology represents a significant leap as well in this C7 series. Mine, RedHot, is do to be built any day now and then I will have a great get-to-know-her drive from the factory/Museum delivery back to Vega.cool smiley

Exciting times for you, Jeff. Not long before you'll have your new ride. Have you run out of sheep yet? grinning smiley

In all this excitement, looks like you feel like you're living out of this world. winking smiley
Re: thumbs upRe: Seen the new 'vette?
jwdbox - Sunday, 13 October, 2013, at 8:42:57 am
Guenter in Ontario
jwdbox

Exciting times for you, Jeff. Not long before you'll have your new ride. Have you run out of sheep yet? grinning smiley

In all this excitement, looks like you feel like you're living out of this world. winking smiley
Wait...you mean one is supposed to sleep while being a waiterzzzzzzzzzz
chris & 987 - Sunday, 13 October, 2013, at 5:04:43 pm
the CD article pointed out that the price differnce was double in as tested price and base. I would still pick the p car over the vette. It doesnt even look like a vette anymore from the sides and front. But at least chevy has a player in the game. So for those who can afford the new p car the question may be.. should I get two vettes or one porsche. new vette? not my style, new p car, not in my price range, existing boxster.. perfect fit for me.
paulwdenton - Sunday, 13 October, 2013, at 11:53:04 pm
My neighbor just picked up his new Z51 Vette and took me for a very quick drive. I have always hated Vettes but I am prepared to make an exception. Much better looking in person than in pix. Looks like a Ferrari. Interior is equal if not superior to a 911. Incredible sound and power. I wouldn't buy one, just like I'll never buy another Porsche (you pay for two vehicles but only get one that's greatly overhyped), but at least the Corvette has now achieved parity if not outright supiority.
MikenOH - Monday, 14 October, 2013, at 12:34:14 pm
paulwdenton
My neighbor just picked up his new Z51 Vette and took me for a very quick drive. I have always hated Vettes but I am prepared to make an exception. Much better looking in person than in pix. Looks like a Ferrari. Interior is equal if not superior to a 911. Incredible sound and power. I wouldn't buy one, just like I'll never buy another Porsche (you pay for two vehicles but only get one that's greatly overhyped), but at least the Corvette has now achieved parity if not outright supiority.

Just out of curiosity Paul, excluding the Corvette and Porsche models, is there another performance car you would be interested in owning?
paulwdenton - Monday, 14 October, 2013, at 11:40:04 pm
Most likely a Z, Genesis Coupe, or G37 at the top end. Of course they are only 75% of the Porsche but that performance has done nothing for me in 4 years except cause me to obsess --granted, irrationally-- about the "may pop" engine. Even the lowly Hyundai will stand behind its engine for 10 years. Too, I'm PO'd that my $50K Porsche comes more poorly equipped than a Kia. I don't get much benefit from the capability of the Porsche on a twisty road (still looking for one) but I miss the auto AC, steering wheel controls, and self-dimming mirrors every time I get in the car. And, I have had rotten experiences with both the dealer and an indie mechanic. The Cayman is okay but I feel like I paid way too much and got way too little. And I'm sure I'll be crucified in here for having such an opinion. And a new one equipped like I like would be $70K. Really??? It might be better than a Z but it's not worth 2 Z cars, that's for sure.
chris & 987 - Tuesday, 15 October, 2013, at 1:53:31 pm
what compelled you to buy a porsche in the first place? We know it wasnt the price.
paulwdenton - Tuesday, 15 October, 2013, at 9:45:59 pm
Expected that the anticipated enjoyment would outweigh the disadvantages. After all, it is an extraordinarily beautiful car. But it was lust, not true love. Like discovering the beauty queen is too aristocratic to help out around the house. After a while the sex alone isn't enough to sustain the relationship. And in daily use, the beauty queen is really no better than any other car. Never located the mystical twisters to explore that weren't being used by Uncle Joe driving his old pickup at 45 mph. Z car will give me the equipment I want and 99% of the enjoyment for half the price and no worries about the ^*#* engine blowing up.
Competition is good for the consumer *NM*
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 16 October, 2013, at 8:47:33 pm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login