Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
06 Boxster S,when to change the manual trans oil?
moresquirt - Sunday, 13 October, 2013, at 12:53:33 pm
I now have about 60,000 miles and was wondering when i should change out the trans oi for my manual 6 speed , Porsche dealer tells me its lifetime oil and never needs changed.Whats lifetime?
Have not had any issues with shifter or clutch as of yet.
Ps:want to say hello to everyone,my first post on Pedros site,lone my boxster,will post a pic soon,it white with blue top and interior.
Warren
The spec in all of the 986s, from Porsche, was 90,000 miles
grant - Sunday, 13 October, 2013, at 2:12:44 pm
Mine has been changed at every 60k miles, and looked really good; but i track the car.

Unless something changed the 6-speed S transmission in 987s is the same Porsche unit, while the 5-speed was changed from Audi 01 to Aisin (not a good change IMNSHO).

I dont think there is any problem exceeding 90k, but it never hurts and is unlikely to be more than a once in its life event.

Mots shops seem to use the Mobil devlac 75w90 synthetic gear oil. The best choice is likely the shell-made OEM porsche stuff, which i got from Sunset imports for less than $30/qt. Such a deal.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
at 90K miles or less -- I was shooting for 60K miles -- but managed to let the miles accumulate at least once and went to 90K miles or a bit more.

Original 5-speed in my 02 has almost 273K miles and still shifts/works like new. Probably would be the same had I waited until 90K miles each time but I like to think the early changes made a positive difference. OTOH, I doubt the tranny would have made it this far with no fluid change.

Should mention a few times before the change the shifting action was getting a bit difficult, notchy and bordering on semi crunchy, and the fluid change improved things. I remembr specifically the first time being unfamiliar with the car I had the tranny fluid changed prior to considering having the tranny looked into as the shifting had gotten to the point I suspected the tranny had worn out. Thankfully that proved to not be the cases.

Since I have the fluid change done at the dealer (0.3 hours labor!) the OE fluid gets used. (Might mention once in a while the service department has some surplus left over from warranty work and makes me a deal. Last time I had the Boxster fluid changed I got the fluid for $5 per liter.)

Regardless, like other vital fluids, I have no interest in experimenting to learn how non-OE transmission fluids perform.
Those are terrific deals
grant - Monday, 14 October, 2013, at 9:00:50 am
0.3 hours doesn't give me time to jack the car and level it on blocks, much less remove all the under-car bracing that must come off.

Yea, changing early never hurts. But gear oil is less likely than motor oil to become contaminated. OTOH, your experience suggests that it can either begin to break down or lose some of its friction modifying additives before the magic number arrives.

In the days of non-syntehtic, 100k gear oil was awful, useless stuff - smelly, ugly, and clearly not up to the task.

With recent Audi and Porsche synthetics anyway, i often see it looking pretty darn good at 75-100k. But since a new tranny is what, $8k?, its great insurance!

Grant

Grant

Re: Those are terrific deals
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Monday, 14 October, 2013, at 12:35:10 pm
I was able to have mine changed at 90k at a local car care day at Flintworks (local indy). I bought the fluid, but wasn't keen on buying the ~$40 socket required that I would likely never use again. I try to DIY whenever possible but decided gear oil change is a job better left to Alden.
You have a 5-speed Audi box?
grant - Monday, 14 October, 2013, at 1:00:52 pm
the porsche 6-sp unit is a normal 10mm allen both fill and drain.

Grant

Grant

Re: You have a 5-speed Audi box?
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Monday, 14 October, 2013, at 2:34:02 pm
'99 Base (like there is any other winking smiley )I bought the oil, then realized you needed a 16mm Triple Square bit. How many times will I use that $37 albatross? Alden changed the gear oil with my fluid for $20 at a car care day at his shop in Campbel. Win-win. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2013 02:35PM by BoxsterBob - San Carlos. (view changes)
that too is dirt cheap.
grant - Monday, 14 October, 2013, at 2:38:30 pm
Worth every penny and a few more.

If you ever need it, i have the triple-square security bit. Just pay shipping backand forth.

Lisle sells a good one on amazon for under $20

Grant

Grant

Re: that too is dirt cheap.
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Monday, 14 October, 2013, at 3:53:06 pm
Much appreciated, Grant, I'll let you know in about 55,000 miles. smiling smiley
Re: 06 Boxster S,when to change the manual trans oil?
moresquirt - Monday, 14 October, 2013, at 6:07:59 pm
I have the 10 ml allen ,so i will order the Porsche stuff and do it in the spring,can,t hurt doing it a little early i guess.Pretty easy job also other than the drain plug has the aluminum sheild in the way and has to be removed
but i decided that i would cut a 2 inch round hole and make the job easier,cant see that changing the aerodynamics any.
i would take it all off.

Beware you must get it all back on TIGHT.

Grant

Grant

You will also need ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 15 October, 2013, at 7:49:10 am
... a small hand pump in order to pump in the fresh oil.
You'll be working from under the tranny, pumping up.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
in other words, siphon.

Grant

Grant

Re: You will also need ...
moresquirt - Tuesday, 15 October, 2013, at 3:40:23 pm
Actually was not aware that i needed to pump it in thru the bottom till it comes out the top.Basically like a lower end unit for an outboard boat motor.
Thx for the tip Pedro,is it just easier that way or is it more to do with air pockets being created filling from the top.
Thx
You don't pump through the bottom ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 15 October, 2013, at 4:42:35 pm
... the bottom is for draining.
You pump into the top hole, where you measure, but since you're under the car you cannot pour it in therefore you need a manual pump.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
and not 11 (?) mm below it as with the 5 speed.
Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login