Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Help with Litronics
crumbum - Monday, 14 October, 2013, at 10:35:06 pm
I have had some strange issues with the litronics on my 2000 Boxster S. The right headlight just turns off while I am driving.

I have done the following (on expert advice) so far:
Replaced both bulbs
Replaced the igniter
Replaced the ballast
Replaced the headlight switch

I am pulling my hair out of my head. I am running out of ideas on how to fix this. Any ideas?
You have to check...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 15 October, 2013, at 12:06:17 am
... the base of the headlight (where the headlight assembly inserts into.
I have seen several that have cracked which in turn creates an intermittent connection.
Also check the connection itself. Make sure the receptacle is in place with pins straight.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: You have to check...
crumbum - Tuesday, 15 October, 2013, at 10:08:56 am
Thank you. I will have a look.

The strange thing is that, if I switch it off and then on again, the right light comes back on but then goes out 2 to 5 minutes later.

Since there is a new igniter in there, the connection to the lamp is new.

???
Sometimes...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 15 October, 2013, at 11:05:50 am
... when the connection between the pug and receptacle is not solid, it will allow the lamp to burn for a while, until it heats up and then the voltage drops.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
HELP: Headlight still goes out
crumbum - Saturday, 9 November, 2013, at 5:42:54 pm
I am still battling the right headlight that goes out after about 30 seconds. When I switch the lights off and on again, it immediately goes on and after 30 seconds it goes out.

Relay position F28, as shown in the diagram, is empty on my relay board so I reluctantly had to rule out a relay issue.

Guys I am out of ideas. Any suggestions? I cant drive my baby at night and it is driving (no pun intended) nuts.

This is what I have done so far (in reverse order):
* checked the ground point and put connector lube on
* opened the headlight connector in the frunk and put connector lube in all holes
* put connector lube on red connector to the low beam bulb
* put connector lube on both connectors behind the headlight
* replaced both bulbs
* replaced the ballast
* replaced the igniter
* replaced the headlight switch
Re: HELP: Headlight still goes out
CarreraLicious - Sunday, 10 November, 2013, at 6:29:49 am
I had this problem before too. It turned out that the receiving plug on headlamp tray in the back was not staying in place when the headlight was inserted. Take the headlight out and look back at the receiving plug in the back of the tray. If you can push the plug back a bit with your finger, it means the plug needs to have the blue clip behind it replaced to hold it in place better.

You may even need to take the wheel off, pull back the wheel liner, and then when you look up in there, you will be able to see if the receiving plug fits snug against the headlight when the headlight is inserted. Once I made sure the plug from the headlight mated perfectly to the receiving plug, my problem went away. Good luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2013 06:30AM by boxtaboy. (view changes)
Yes, and there's the unit's tricky seating on the fender rail.
Laz - Sunday, 10 November, 2013, at 9:48:03 am
Even with the wiring connector in, there's apparently something, grounding perhaps, needed by the unit's direct contact with the fender innards.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login