Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Software.....
m4240z - Sunday, 20 October, 2013, at 6:21:21 pm
I dropped off our Audi A6 a couple of days ago for scheduled maintenance. I was told that I was fortunate, as Audi had just released new "software" for the steering.

I like technology -- a lot -- but there is something a bit disquieting about this.

If you're concerned about not having a stickshift, this is probably more of an issue.
Well....
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S) - Sunday, 20 October, 2013, at 7:18:31 pm
I have a very early build 2009 C2S and had some rough running engine performance. I asked the dealer a few months ago to reload the software at the advice of my Ford friend. They complied and did a "long" version reload and the engine is smoother, idles better, and runs a bit more more. Why? I dunno. My Ford friend noted that engineers are constantly tweaking a whole host of parameters and the software loaded into cars is always being updated during production. Unless there is a common complaint such as "rough idling when cold", the factory will not release a bulletin. If you get a reload, you not only get that item fixed, but the cumulative lot of tweaks. Think Windows (I know, that is a bit scary).

So.... while I totally agree with you that something is fake about our cars with these fly-by-wire systems giving us an experience targeted by marketers and realized through software, well.... welcome to this brave new world. There are really few sports cars available any more. I drove a Lotus and was totally in love with the thing for its rawness and mechanical feel.

Look on the bright side.... remember when you could tune your car for high RPM performance or smooth idle? You had to choose. Today, via software, you get both. Not a bad deal actually.

But I agree, some things should be left as a pure mechanical system.

Peace
Bruce
Re: Well....
m4240z - Sunday, 20 October, 2013, at 8:41:36 pm
I get software driving the engine management -- timing, fuel delivery all make sense to have electronics control that. It's better for emissions control, having the mix rich when necessary, lean when it's better, so I'm all for that. Steering however, I have a bigger issue with. For me, I want to feel the wheels and tires, and the feel of the car, as well as the on-center tracking have changed. The on-center tracking is better, as the car doesn't feed back any of the road undulations, so you point and go. But in not feeding back undulations and the like, I'm not feeling the grip or much else. It's pretty much like a rheostat.

Lotus -- now that's a sports car.
Re: Well....
jlegelis - Sunday, 20 October, 2013, at 9:55:49 pm
Everything being done these days is in the name of fuel efficiency, including reducing parasitic losses of all accessories like pumps, compressors, etc. Look at it another way: upgradable software might someday allow you to change the characteristics of the steering, just like the PASM suspension has all sorts of different software selectable modes. My view: no sense in worrying about things we can't control, just figure out how to use these changes to our mutual advantage!

- JAL
HPFP?
Leor ('09S, North of Boston) - Sunday, 20 October, 2013, at 8:58:58 pm
There was/is a "silent recall" on the High-Pressure Fuel Pump on the '09 Boxster S, and I'm wondering if that also applies to the C2S. One of the symptoms I had before they put the replacement pump in was lack of engine response when I called for power NOW; there was a hesitation. Another symptom was the OBC message "Emergency Transmission Run", accompanied by the inability to put the PDK into gear (acted as if it were in neutral) until I turn off the car and re-started it.
Re: HPFP?
db997S - Monday, 21 October, 2013, at 9:13:56 am
These pumps have been a huge issue, not just for Porsche. Some, like the BMW have had to way many, many months to get new pumps because of a widespread issue. Not sure if it's been cleare up at this point, as this was a good four or so years ago regarding the shortage. My '09 997S had it's pumps replaced on a silent recall long ago. The reason was the car not firing up right away upon turning the inigition key. That's a sign something is amiss.
is also an indication the HPFP is going out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login