Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Just watched Pedros video on the ims bearing.
Tony in Whittier - Tuesday, 22 October, 2013, at 10:01:31 pm
Nice work. Easy to understand explanation.

Question: now that oil is being shot into the bearing and into the shaft tube, will that oil fill the tube making it heavier and possibly out of balance (No quick exit from the tube).

Pedro, can you give a shop recommendation for an installation in the L.A. & O.C. area?

Tony
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: Just watched Pedros video on the ims bearing.
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 23 October, 2013, at 12:07:37 pm
The Direct Oil Feed is installed to inject oil onto the open face of the bearing by removing just the outer seal.
The inner seal of the bearing (towards the IMS) remains in place.
Happy DOF'ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Not in a mirror, but I recoded from the on board camera in iSight which mirrors the image.
Sorry, I didn't have the camcorder available.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Phred - Thursday, 24 October, 2013, at 8:47:47 am
What I don't understand after watching Pedro's two videos is how reflective the "spinning" video is of what is happening in our cars:
1) The bearing is in a horizontal position in the video but vertical in our cars
2) There is no source of new oil in the video so centrifugal force will obviously drive all of the oil out of the bearing in the video. In our cars, if the lower portion (roughly 40%?) of the bearing is submerged in oil, then the spinning will pull oil into and around the bearing.

These are honest questions and I'm no troll. I fear I need to do something with my car (IMS Guardian has given the slightest alert--this weekend I'll drain oil and inspect the filter), and am trying to evaluate the LN vs. Pedro fixes.

Phred
'99 Boxster
My two cents...
grant - Thursday, 24 October, 2013, at 8:53:32 am
What I don't understand after watching Pedro's two videos is how reflective the "spinning" video is of what is happening in our cars:

GFL -->> I have nothing to do with this, but IMNSHO, very applicable

1) The bearing is in a horizontal position in the video but vertical in our cars

GFL --> The bearing in our cars is horizontal, meaning its axis of rotation is horizontal. The shaft runs from the back to the front of the motor.

2) There is no source of new oil in the video so centrifugal force will obviously drive all of the oil out of the bearing in the video. In our cars, if the lower portion (roughly 40%?) of the bearing is submerged in oil, then the spinning will pull oil into and around the bearing.

GFL --> The DOF solution sprays a pressuried stream of oil on the spinning bearing.

One way or the other, the key ot any bearing is to have a sufficient, and flowing supply of oil. Sufficient to lubricate. Flowing to maintain constant temperature and prevent breakdown and ph migration of a small sample.

Grant

Grant

Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 24 October, 2013, at 10:10:32 am
The easiest way to explain it was with the bearing mounted on the motor in a horizontal position so that you could see how a full-of-oil bearing quickly sheds all of its lubrication when it starts spinning.
The experiment is much harder to do with a vertical bearing half submerged in oil, but if that's what it takes for people to believe, I'll try to show it in the very near future.

But, as I have said before even if it was fully submerged it would still shed oil as a blender does when it starts spinning, creating an empty vortex.
None of the bearing replacement kits on the markets are solutions until you add the direct oil feed system to it. Without the DOF they are all "band-aid" temporary replacements.

Happy DOF'ing
Pedro

Phred

These are honest questions and I'm no troll. I fear I need to do something with my car (IMS Guardian has given the slightest alert--this weekend I'll drain oil and inspect the filter), and am trying to evaluate the LN vs. Pedro fixes.

Phred
'99 Boxster

Pedro Bonilla

would get at from idle to redline with the bearing in the vertical position.
I think you meant horizontal as isn't that the way the bearing is mounted in real life use?
In real life use the bearing is mounted ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 24 October, 2013, at 4:20:18 pm
... vertically (as I stated).

[i83.photobucket.com]

Happy
DOF'ing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Grant

... in my video I show the bearing in a horizontal position (with the open side up).
In the car it's mounted in a vertical position.
To me, these four bearings are in a vertical position.

[pedrosgarage.com]

If they were flat on the table, I'd consider that being horizontal, but, YMMV.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login