Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Displayed temperature differentials:
Laz - Friday, 8 November, 2013, at 4:05:06 pm
"Cold" car (sitting overnight in garage)
Air: 61-62º *
Coolant: 70
Oil: 66

Specific heat? Microclimates? Gauge imprecision/inaccuracy?

* The radio display also gives ambient temperature; essentially the same as the multifunction display's, but refined to tenths.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2013 04:05PM by Laz. (view changes)
Normal/what I would expect to see...
MarcW - Friday, 8 November, 2013, at 5:00:55 pm
Laz

* The radio display also gives ambient temperature; essentially the same as the multifunction display's, but refined to tenths.

Air temperature can change very quickly but it takes time for a change in air temperature to affect the coolant and oil temperatures.
Re: Displayed temperature differentials:
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 8 November, 2013, at 8:00:45 pm
Laz

I also find that coolant and oil temps are often a degree (C) or two different at start up. I think the coolant sensor is buried inside the engine, so temperature fluctuations take longer to reach it. Oil sensor must be near the bottom of the engine since oil temp seems to fluctuate quite a bit. Park the car for 10 minutes and It's surprising how much the oil temp will drop - specially in the current 30 and 40 F degree temps.

PS Switch your multifunction display to celcius and you'll get readouts in 10ths there too.
Re: Displayed temperature differentials:
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 9 November, 2013, at 9:33:21 am
Laz

After the car sitting overnight, I thought I'd go out and check readings in mine (also garaged) and found:

Air: 50 F
Coolant 57 F
Oil 55 F

Interesting that, despite the difference in air temperature, both your and my readings are about:

Coolant = air temp +7
Oil = air temp +5

Makes you wonder if it isn't imprecision/inaccuracy of the gauges.
(coolant temperature or CLT) today using my Boxster which had sat out overnight and got 64F for the CLT and 66 for the IAT. I started the engine and the IAT dropped a few degrees while in just a moment or two naturally the CLT rose.

I do not know what ambient air temperature was at around 7am when I did this but it was probably close to 50F as it is 48F right now.
Ok, maybe it takes ages for the temperatures to settle down:
Laz - Sunday, 10 November, 2013, at 9:45:03 am
Yesterday morning got these cold readings:
Air: 57-58 multifunction display. 58-58.9 center console display
Coolant: 57
Oil: 57
Now, if Porsche would only give us TPMs for 31 and 34 psi.
Hard to believe that it can take almost 2 days for even the inside of the engine to cool down, but I just went out and checked again. Engine hasn't been run since Friday afternoon.

Air 12.5 C (54.5 F) (Is your air temp fluctuating to get the 57 - 58 reading?)
Coolant 11 C (51.8 F)
Oil 11 C
you've prolly solved more problems with boxsters than porsche themselves, great to see you going strong....all good down here...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login