Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
For the third time, my 2012 Volvo S60 engine has overridden my brakes at a stop light. I've been fortunate to never hit anyone as a result of this problem, but it was close on Saturday. My husband said the Tach went up to 6. I couldn't keep my car from moving forward, so I put it into Park, and once the light turned green, drove home (3 miles only, fortunately).

This will be the third attempt for my dealer to fix this. It is in the shop right now. Since it is a safety issue, I'm starting the process of pursuing the lemon law - should be pretty straight forward.

Now the good news - time to get back into a Boxster! Also considering the Cayman, and not necessarily an S, and not necessarily new, although my husband would like to pick the car up in Germany smiling smiley

Hope to be back "in the fold" soon! smiling smiley I miss you all.
Great! well sort of....
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S) - Tuesday, 19 November, 2013, at 1:41:06 pm
Is this Volvo thing unique to your car or is it something broader? Has the dealer reproduced it?

Convertible or hardtop? I think I would go with the Boxster again. I think they are the funnest model out there.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
hope it works out for you, Meredith
MikenOH - Tuesday, 19 November, 2013, at 2:13:10 pm
IIRC, you're in GA, which would be a great place to own a Boxster and drive it year-round.
The 981 is terrific car; a 987.2 would be a great alternative-similar performance, less $ and a bigger trunk if that matters.
Re: hope it works out for you, Meredith +1
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 19 November, 2013, at 2:33:45 pm
Sorry to hear about your problems with the Volvo. Something like that can be quite scary, and rightly so. Glad to hear that you haven't had any accidents because of the problem.

I'll echo what Mike said. I'm sure you would love a 981 or if you go used, go with and 987.2. Either one would clear up that itch in your feet. winking smiley
Re: Great! well sort of....
Meredith in Atlanta - Tuesday, 19 November, 2013, at 2:46:42 pm
The dealer has not been able to reproduce it. It doesn't happen every time I drive the car. The 2nd time I had it in the shop, they replaced the entire brake system since they couldn't figure out what the problem was. I've not seen anything (after much googling) about this being a known problem, so I don't think this is a "broad issue". I will say, I'm glad my husband was in the car with me this time as I've been afraid that they think it is another kind of "broad" issue winking smiley

I do think it is an engine issue (not a brake issue) since the engine revved on me while I was at a complete stop with my foot clearly (and only) on the brake peddle, as it was the other two times.

As for Boxster vs. Cayman... I need to catch up on my model #'s (never heard of the 987.2!). I do belivee that the newer 981 is very expensive, and I still like the 987. I could do with a base model also - owned both S and non-S models, I do prefer the S, but the $$ difference is pretty significant!
SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans) - Tuesday, 19 November, 2013, at 11:24:12 pm
Nobody in this fun thread answered your question regarding the 987.2. It's the version MY2009 and later which has a completely new engine design (no IMS).
Re: 987.2
Meredith in Atlanta - Wednesday, 20 November, 2013, at 2:36:11 am
Yeah, not going to get a model that has had repeated IMS issues. Thanks!
Mer! Good to see you around....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 19 November, 2013, at 3:24:57 pm
That's why I like the early (2.5L) 986.
My right foot (not the ECU) controls the throttle body!
Glad to hear you'll be driving a P-Car again, Mer.
When people ask me when am I going to buy a Cayman, mu answer always is:
When they make the convertible version winking smiley
Happy Porsche'ing,
pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Mer! Good to see you around....
Meredith in Atlanta - Tuesday, 19 November, 2013, at 3:52:07 pm
Ha! I love that. I've had to explain that one to a number of people... and they don't believe me. "When will they make the convertible version?"... I tell them that's what the Boxster is, and they say they like the hard top version better grinning smiley
What were you thinking?!
jg wnc - Tuesday, 19 November, 2013, at 5:06:34 pm
If you are looking at the lemon law, then I presume you bought a new Volvo recently. I thought you said some time ago that you were ready to get into a Porsche again. So something changed your mind, I guess. Maybe this is karma! winking smiley

Hope to see you back in a Boxster/Cayman soon!
Re: What were you thinking?!
Meredith in Atlanta - Tuesday, 19 November, 2013, at 7:14:18 pm
Bob - I just realized I replied to John in your thread! Not used to this "new" format winking smiley It's good to see all of your posts and reconnect. Has Joanne been back since she got her latest Boxster?
Re: Volvo, Georgia Lemon Law and getting back into a Porsche!
Bob G - Tuesday, 19 November, 2013, at 5:34:23 pm
Hi Meredith, wow, my past is catching up again. Great to hear from you! Sorry to hear about the runaway Volvo, but hope everything else is copacetic.

I must concur that the latest Boxster is great, and couldn't recommend it more. (Also agree with Pedro that a drop-top version of the Cayman would be excellent. smiling smiley )

Last year I moved up from my '99 to an '08 Boxster S, the so-called RS 60 Spyder special edition. Beautiful car and it goes like the hammers. My friend Bill Hayman just had his '99 in to visit Pedro.

Best wishes and good luck with sorting out the Volvo.

Bob
Weird circumstances (as usual). I had traded in the Cayman S after it was badly damaged in an accident in Birmingham. Long story short, I ended up collecting Diminished Value on it, decided to get out of Porsches due to the expense, loss etc.... leased a Volvo C30 which I thought was a great car. A woman ran into me and she didn't have insurance, but because it was a lease, I couldn't collect DV. I had an opportunity to trade it in on the S60 without losing any value so I jumped on it. This was January of '12. The car has clearly proven to be a lemon, so I'm back to wanting an awesome car again.

Although I still have to go through some legalities and paperwork, I plan to get back into a mid-engine Porsche within the foreseeable future, and reconnect with some good friends smiling smiley

John, I wasn't aware that you replaced your beautiful '99 to a newer RS. You must love it!

Fortunately my husband is also a car fanatic and is very excited about the prospects of a Porsche. As mentioned earlier, he really wants to do the Zuffenhausen delivery (he works for SW airlines so we fly very cheap), but not sure we can swing that time-wise. We will see! smiling smiley
Re: Just keep it out of the body shop!
Meredith in Atlanta - Wednesday, 20 November, 2013, at 2:42:34 am
That's one of the reasons I got out of the Porsches to begin with. I'd been hit so many times and it broke my heart each time - especially with the Cayman S. I had to suck up the insurance because the guy that hit me in Birmingham had been hit by someone else. I did get a diminished value check, but at that point, I was so bummed that I decided to say "screw it" and get the volvo - well that turned out to be a non-starter (never again!) so life is short and it is time to get back into the car I love. Most of all, I miss driving a manual and hearing the engine roar.
Re: Just keep it out of the body shop!
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 20 November, 2013, at 8:49:56 am
Meredith in Atlanta
......Most of all, I miss driving a manual and hearing the engine roar.

Part of Zen of Driving. smileys with beer

That's why I bought my 981 - before Porsche ends up going totally PDK. I'm guessing that manuals could be slim pickens if you want to get a 981 off the lot. You might have to order one to get what you want. You're also lucky, living in Georgia since you can drive a Cayman convertible year round. cool smiley

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Re: Volvo, Georgia Lemon Law and getting back into a Porsche!
Ed B - Wednesday, 20 November, 2013, at 10:08:53 am
Most cars will increase engine speed a little if the A/C kicks in while the car is stopped at idle. Maybe there is a defect in that system.

Ed
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login