Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Planning my mods for the winter
EricG - Wednesday, 20 November, 2013, at 11:42:27 am
Has you might know, when winter comes in QC, my boxster goes to hibernation. But this year, I'm planning to spend sometimes and money upgrading the car as a DIY project.

Right now, here's what I'm planning:

1- Standard clear side markers upgrade: Very easy to do, I guess I'll spend more time looking for the markers then replacing them. But I'm considering going for LED markers, any suggestion out there that would improve the look ?

2- Short Shift KIT: I'm planning on buying the B&M from Eric "plug guy" as they are having a November sale and the price is competitive. Any opinion are welcome on the SSK subject. I'm very interested in hearing comments from people who did it and loved it as well as those who didn't love it. What were the reasons ? Which kit did you used ? etc. Also, from our technical friends, what should I watch for while doing the replacement ? I know that a key action is to mark the cables position to avoid having to recalibrate, but what other trouble could I run into ?

3-- Rear bumper replacement: This one will be fun ! I managed to get hold of a used 2007 Cayman rear bumper. It is Basalt black as my car and got it for 250$ from a nearby Porsche mechanic. So I won't need to have it painted, the bumper is in good shape, but I need to work off some scratches and scuff marks. I noticed one or two paint chips, very small, they look like the results of little stones bouncing of the bumper. What would be your suggestion to bring this bumper back to an excellent condition. I'm considering wet sanding the scuff marks and scratches with a 2000 grit paper following by a buffing compound, glaze and was. But I have no solution for the paint chips... Any other thoughts ?

Still in the back of my mind, as I will pull the rear bumper off is a rear lights replacement. I would like to move to LED, but I cant seem to find interesting replacements... any suggestions ?
Re: Planning my mods for the winter
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 20 November, 2013, at 12:58:18 pm
Clear side markers would look good with the black and as you say, it's an easy DIY.

I also got the B&M short shift for my 2006 Boxster from Eric. Absolutely loved the change. It made gear shifting even more fun. A flick of the fingers get's you from 1st to 2nd. My indy did the installation. He was very meticulous about lubricating everything and adjusting it so it wasn't too tight or to loose. You will love the change. Just wish I could get a SSK for my 981.
EricG - Wednesday, 20 November, 2013, at 2:15:44 pm
Guenter in Ontario
Clear side markers would look good with the black and as you say, it's an easy DIY.

I also got the B&M short shift for my 2006 Boxster from Eric. Absolutely loved the change. It made gear shifting even more fun. A flick of the fingers get's you from 1st to 2nd. My indy did the installation. He was very meticulous about lubricating everything and adjusting it so it wasn't too tight or to loose. You will love the change. Just wish I could get a SSK for my 981.

LOL, I was expecting your post... To be honest, I almost mentioned you in my original post. I clearly remember our discussions about mod when we met, and you're pretty much the person who turned me to the do the mods. I've read a lot on the subect and saw the occasional 2nd not sticking problem. I hope to do the mod myself, I've seen many instructions on it, and it seems pretty straigh forward. I figured that if I take my time (and I have lot considering the lenght of our winter), I should be able to do a decent job.

Thanks for your comments...
Roger987 - Wednesday, 20 November, 2013, at 1:29:02 pm
I used the genuine Porsche short-shift kit, which I bought from Suncoast.

It doesn't require destruction of the original shifter (rather, the original is simply removed, as a unit) and it includes a gizmo that places the shifter lever in the correct position for installation.

I did the work myself. I'm happy with the outcome.
EricG - Wednesday, 20 November, 2013, at 2:22:42 pm
Roger987
I used the genuine Porsche short-shift kit, which I bought from Suncoast.

It doesn't require destruction of the original shifter (rather, the original is simply removed, as a unit) and it includes a gizmo that places the shifter lever in the correct position for installation.

I did the work myself. I'm happy with the outcome.

I considered the Porsche Genuine SSK, but the price is double, and the B&M doesnt seems much more complicated to install. It would allow me to resale my standard one tho, not sure i would get the price difference back !

Did you sell your old one ?
Roger987 - Wednesday, 20 November, 2013, at 3:58:41 pm
I'd read on a number of boards that the factory SS kit results in a smoother shift than with the aftermarket kits. Not having tried the aftermarket SS's, I can't comment.

No, I haven't tried to sell the old one; I wanted the option of re-installing it, should I ever tire of the short-shifter.

I cobbled together installation instructions from as many sites/posts as I could find on the interweb. With that in hand, it went smoothly. Removing all the interior bits (without breaking anything) took the longest.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login