Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Rain water leak into foot well
marty - Sunday, 24 November, 2013, at 3:30:32 pm
I have a rain water leak into the left side foot well in my British right hand drive '99 Box 2.5. It's coming from under the dash board above where your feet rest.

It's not the door seal, as I replaced that last year and the carpet from the door seal downwards is dry. The drain hole under the hood in the compartment to the side of the battery is clear.

Any ideas as to the culprit please before I start ripping stuff out?

Marty (UK) 1999 Boxster 2.5 manual
and working ok. There are IIRC at least two -- one on either side of the battery and I seem to recall at least with my 02 there are 3 total. Is that right? Yes, according to the Bentley Service manual. 3 drains at the front, two in the back one on either side of the top.

If the drains prove to be clear and water poured into them doesn't back up or cause any dampness to appear then you have to suspect possibly the windshield is leaking. Or possibly the top.
Check behind...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 24 November, 2013, at 7:34:52 pm
... the seat.
Most times rain water comes in from behind the seats due to clogged soft top drains.
It then travels forward.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Further investigation
marty - Monday, 25 November, 2013, at 9:56:37 am
Having spent an hour with the vacume I believe one of the drain holes beneath the air-con connections might have been restricted. We had very heavy rain a week or so ago. Perhaps the one drain couldn't cope?

The wetness is beneath the removable plastic backed foot mat, so the water must have got through the bulkhead somewhere and gone beneath the fitted carpet. In your experience would a blocked drain manifest as this?

The drains to the roof at the back of the car are clear and there's no damp behind the seats.

Thanks for the welcome advice, wish I lived somewhere where we didn't get as much rain!

Re: Further investigation
986rgt - Monday, 25 November, 2013, at 8:31:42 pm
Is the plastic cover above the cabin filter in place, as well as the one above the battery? If this cover is not in place, the water will come off the windshield and pour right throughout the cabin filter and come out the hvac vent in the footwell.

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
Re: Further investigation
marty - Tuesday, 26 November, 2013, at 4:19:35 am
There is a flexible foam piece which partly covers the air filter then a big plastic top cover with a hole for the washer bottle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login