Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Miles update....
MarcW - Thursday, 26 December, 2013, at 2:38:39 pm
Was not paying attention and another milestone came and went about 20 miles ago...

Whoa, that's just awesome, Marc..
Rick (Nashville, TN) - Thursday, 26 December, 2013, at 3:24:40 pm
Big congrats, you're a 'role model' for the rest of us, lol. I'm up to 57k on my '00S. smiling smiley

Best regards, -rick.
Been the best car ever.

Debating on taking the Boxster or the other car on a personal business trip soon. I'm leaning towards the Boxster. Already has big miles so another 5K miles is no biggie; just got new front brake pads/discs (and caliper bolts...), rear brakes are fine; new rear tires (Pirelli) and as usual the front tires have plenty of tread left, oh, and last but not least, an oil/filter service. The Boxster is ready to roll. 'course, the other car just got oil/filter service and brakes are fine as are the tires. Still I haven't been out for a long trip in the Boxster for a long time. I like it gets better gas mileage. Just a few MPG but with several fill ups a day for 4 or 5 days just a few MPG seems significant. There is also If I have to have the car serviced on the road there's this: When I show up at a dealer unannounced with a big miles Boxster and needing something taken care of the dealers treat me pretty good. Some even ask me if I'm some Porsche secret shopper. Hehehe. Uh, I meant to say I don't wish to answer that question.
That's a lot of happy motoring *NM*
grant - Thursday, 26 December, 2013, at 6:45:14 pm
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Marc,

What were/are you biggest annoyances with the car?

My 2000S after 197K miles of ownership (what sticks out in my memory):

1 - Three coolant tank replacements. One required flat bedding and the last failed a few weeks before my engine blew up. Darn. What I find annoying is that Porsche had coolant tank problems since '97 and did nothing to improve the tank... all they had to do was demand the supplier make the darn thing thicker.
2 - Ignition packs failed at 150K miles (175K?) requiring flat bedding. This is normal maintenance so I can't really complain about this one.
3 - Control arms wear out and clunk. I replaced a bunch of them. Again, a normal wear item but I think they wear out way too fast. I lived on cobblestones for most of its life so this may have been a contributing factor.
4 - Heat shields rot out, buzz and then rattle.
5 - I had all of the "textbook" failures including top micro switch, early MAF issue, ignition switch, clutch (or brake?) switch.
6 - Two blown engines.... 'nuff said about this one.
7 - Throttle body needs to be cleaned periodically or I would get a rough idle.
8 - Some other items like radiator fan, engine mounts....... but again, I consider this stuff normal for a high mileage car and not an issue.

Overall, engine booms aside, the car was fantastic and I loved every minute of ownership. I never had a car I enjoyed every day and never got tired of it. I would still be driving it if not for the boom issue.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Just FYI, coilpack #6 throwing cods again (rare) *NM*
grant - Friday, 27 December, 2013, at 1:01:19 pm
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
worn out, I have had them taken care of or in the case of the converters (throws a P0430 code every once in awhile) at least I know what is wrong I just have elected to let it slide until I'm compelled to have the root cause addressed (replace the converter) and nothing really annoys me. The engine is on its 3rd AOS but an AOS failure is not the end of the world, just inconvenient. Probably seems pretty lame compared to some of the things you posted but I guess the biggest annoyance is the wipers are not fully intermittent. But since I have been in CA I've hardly had to use the wipers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login