Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Nitrus Oxide Injection
marty - Thursday, 6 March, 2014, at 9:14:18 am
Does anyone have experience of fitting a nitrus kit to a Boxster? These things are not very common here in the UK. The very idea of it brings up loads of questions

Marty (UK) 1999 Boxster 2.5 manual
Like how long will the engine last! *NM*
Laz - Thursday, 6 March, 2014, at 3:32:17 pm
Re: Like how long will the engine last!
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 6 March, 2014, at 3:39:26 pm
That's what I was wondering. It seems to be a limited application. You can just use it for a limited amount of time and requires an extra tank to carry the Nitrus Oxide.
eicheldp - Thursday, 6 March, 2014, at 5:57:08 pm
Nitrous is basically for straight line speed.
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 6 March, 2014, at 6:56:46 pm
eicheldp
Nitrous is basically for straight line speed.

That the way I understand it. Short bust of speed like drag racing. How/what situation were you thinking of using that extra power?
While we dont know for sure, we do know:
grant - Friday, 7 March, 2014, at 6:09:27 pm
1. It runs hotter, which is bad.
2. It makes more power, which is more stress, which is bad
3. You need to get your fuel- [well its no longer air] calibration right, and if you don't it can either foul cats or fry valves, neither of which is good.

But you will get a few seconds of speed.

By and large though, if you want that kind of speed, porsches are the wrong platform the begin with. Think muscle car.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: While we dont know for sure, we do know:
marty - Saturday, 8 March, 2014, at 1:43:04 pm
There is more to it than I realised. The last thing I want is to over stress my aging engine. Thanks to you all for your advice. I love this forum!

Re: Nitrous Oxide Injection
marty - Friday, 7 March, 2014, at 10:51:29 am
Just for the thrill of extra acceleration in a straight line blast.

How quickly does a tank of nitrous get used up when you press the button?

Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 7 March, 2014, at 11:14:38 am
marty
Just for the thrill of extra acceleration in a straight line blast.

How quickly does a tank of nitrous get used up when you press the button?

I have no experience with it. Just going by what I've read, so no idea of how long it lasts, just that it's not for continuous use. Just short bursts and that it gets used up quickly. Seems like a lot of work, money and potential reliability issues for a few seconds here and there.
MarcW - Friday, 7 March, 2014, at 1:26:06 pm
Q. How long will a bottle of nitrous last?

A. That depends on the level of power being produced. The formula for calculating your nitrous usage is: 0.8 lbs N2O X 10 seconds = 100 horsepower. I.E. If your system is jetted for 100 horsepower it will use 0.8 lbs of nitrous for every 10 seconds of usage.
Probably not applicable here
Boxsterra - Friday, 7 March, 2014, at 1:52:23 pm
I doubt he is going to be doing constant full squirts for 10 seconds unless he is drag racing.
Re: Probably not applicable here
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 7 March, 2014, at 2:11:57 pm
Boxsterra
I doubt he is going to be doing constant full squirts for 10 seconds unless he is drag racing.

That was about the only use that I could think of too. OK, if you're planning to take your Boxster to a drag strip. Do that at a traffic light here in Ontario and it's a $10,000 fine, vehicle is impounded (you find your own way home) and immediate licence suspension for one week. Then comes court date and could result in much longer licence suspension.
He may very well be thinking of closed track usage.

Also, even at the drag strip I suspect the car even with the nitrous oxide injection will take longer than 10 seconds to cover the quarter mile and the OP had better have his foot in it the whole time or why bother with nitrous at all.
I once installed nitrous on a 928 (not my car). The system was designed to gradually phase in at high throttle values to give extra power.

It sounds like he may just want that extra kick in the pants when merging, passing, etc. because he likes the thrill of acceleration. In that case, a bottle will last for a while as it will be applied gradually and for only a few seconds at a time. Most non-drag applications of nitrous are progressive. It puts less of a strain on the engine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login