Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Nice touch from Porsche Canada
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 10 March, 2014, at 8:25:32 am
I should have posted this on Saturday when I got it.

Got an email from Porsche Canada as a reminder to change the time on my car to Daylight Savings, along with instructions and also a link to the online video of how to make the change. I thought it was a nice touch.

[www.porscheownersmanuals.com]

Happy Daylight Saving everyone.
Same in the USA....
Gary in SoFL - Monday, 10 March, 2014, at 11:13:57 am
However I see it as an embarrassing admission by Porsche that their electronics are so poorly designed, that they need to broadcast a 4 page explanation of how to reset the dashboard clock. Porsche did the same thing last year.

Much easier to reset the time if you don't have PCM, which IMO, should stay in Germany. Pure crap. Yes, I recall you didn't order it in your 'perfect' Boxster, G-man. cool smiley

Porsche makes great cars, but their add on, Infiniti like, accoutrements are an expensive joke.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Re: Same in the USA....
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 10 March, 2014, at 12:05:59 pm
Gary in SoFL
However I see it as an embarrassing admission by Porsche that their electronics are so poorly designed, that they need to broadcast a 4 page explanation of how to reset the dashboard clock. Porsche did the same thing last year.

Much easier to reset the time if you don't have PCM, which IMO, should stay in Germany. Pure crap. Yes, I recall you didn't order it in your 'perfect' Boxster, G-man. cool smiley

If you use the OBC, setting the time is pretty simple. For those who don't make use of those features, I guess it could seem a bit complicated. For those people, it's nice they sent it out.

As for my car. I don't recall saying that it was 'perfect'. I said it was the ultimate (for me) Boxster. Obviously not necessarily everyone's choice, but vive la difference.
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
PCM
Roger987 - Monday, 10 March, 2014, at 9:54:38 pm
I have PCM 2.1 in my 987. It's easy to use.

Of course, Gary, the difference may be that I approached it with an open mind, working from the premise that it was probably within my grasp to figure out.

Just sayin' winking smiley
Apples and oranges....
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 11 March, 2014, at 12:26:27 am
Simplistic 2.1 suits some, just as self described open minds are probably due to gapping holes, Roger the finger smiley Not that anyone said PCM was difficult, just a pain, sorta like.....nevermind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2014 12:29AM by Gary in SoFL. (view changes)
I've got a 2014 Cayman loaner and the panel seems super busy to me.... I don't think I'd be able to figure out how to change the time WITHOUT instruction! smiling smiley
Meredith in Atlanta
I've got a 2014 Cayman loaner and the panel seems super busy to me.... I don't think I'd be able to figure out how to change the time WITHOUT instruction! smiling smiley

Are you referring to the instruments - specifically the Multi Function Display (987, it was called On Board Computer)? That's where you change the time. True, when you first get the car, reading the instructions helps. Once you know how it works, it's pretty easy to use/navigate. What I like about it, is that there's a LOT more information available (things like oil temperature and oil pressure) that wasn't available on the 987. You can also use it to make Bluetooth phone calls, no need to take your hands off the wheel. You can even customize what is displayed on some of the screens. It also allows you to set things like dimming the interior lights, light levels and auto door locking, which are things you used to have to get the dealer to do. There are definitely lots more choices, but you can set it up so there's only a little or a lot of info showing. Nice that you have a choice.

If you're referring to the center console; Yes. There are quite a few buttons, but I much prefer that to having to navigate using one knob and working your way through an on screen menu (like the BMW iDrive and others like it) that forces you to take your eyes off the road, just to change a setting on the climate control or seat heating/cooling. If I want to turn on seat heating, cooling or defroster, I just have to hit one button. Once you drive the car for a while, you can just do it by touch, no need to take your eyes off the road. That's what I call good driving ergonomics.

So now a question for you. How does the new 981 Cayman handle compared to your 987. What difference(s) do you notice?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login