Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Smog check issue. 2000 S.
Tony in Whittier - Monday, 10 March, 2014, at 5:27:59 pm
I went in for my smog check today. The technician plugged in his OBDII equipment and came back with a failed readiness indicator. The catalyst is showing as "not complete". All the other indicators are complete (Including evaporative system, secondary air system, oxygen sensor and oxygen sensor heater).

A little background: When I opened the engine cover, I took out the air filter and cleaned it off. I believe it was prior to the OBD plug in. I replaced both front O2 sensors about 18 months back (~4800 miles ago). At that time I had CEL code 0133. I can't remember if I cleared the code with my scanner or let the ECU clear it. I do not have a check engine light now.

Did my cleaning of the air filter impact the test? Or, could it be something else?

Thanks.
This should help ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 11 March, 2014, at 9:53:29 am
[i83.photobucket.com]

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
The O2 sensors work was 4800 miles ago. Did cleaning the air filter cause the exception?
I have seen three or four cars "not complete" the readiness state.
Three of them the customer didn't care to do anything because Florida doesn't require smog tests anymore.
The one other customer (from out-of-state) eventually had his ECU replaced (it had other issues).
Try disconnecting the negative side of the battery for about an hour.
Then perform the procedure I posted.
Good luck.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

The best explanation is you did not drive the car enough prior to the test so that all readiness monitors completed.

On the day of the test I drive the car a lot -- nothing gruesome just normal driving -- on the freeway and then around town to be sure the engine and exhaust is fully up to temperature. I'm so I do not know what I even let the engine idle while I'm in the office getting the smog test rolling. I have an OBD2 code reader/scan tool that I hook up and verify the readiness codes are complete. (With a car that this next smog test -- at a Star Station no less -- that has almost 280K miles on it I want to be darn sure everything is a "go" before the car is officially smog checked.) Do not clear anything as this resets the readiness monitors back to their not complete state!

Thus, my advise parallels Pedro's and that is to drive the car and have it rechecked. I would strongly urge you to have some scan tool available to check that all readiness monitors are set to complete before the test. If after a reasonable attempt to get the readiness monitors complete if they are not complete, especially the converter one, this points to a problem with one or both converters. But cross that bridge when (if) you come to it.
I drove around town a lot yesterday while running a bunch of errands. The car got to normal operating temp. and more. I had my scanner with me. I checked it at various times. Weather was about 85 degrees. Tomorrow I will do the procedure that Pedro suggested. That is the best day to drive 40 to 60 mph for a constant distance. I hope that it is nothing serious. I had to replace the cat. on my 911 last year for smog. $$. Aargh.
enough how important it is the engine and the exhaust be fully up to temperature. Even if the coolant temp gage needle reaches its normal position the engine is not 100% fully all over top to bottom front to back left to right up to temperature. While the exhaust is hot I really like every nut, bolt, washer, hanger, bracket, even heat shields as warm as possible from normal driving. This normal driving is important. If you race around the DME may not be able to complete all the readiness monitors.

I drive the car a lot prior to the test and I pick a warm day. The Boxster benefits from its registration coming due in May and warm even hot days are not uncommon in May here. Note: Even if the day is hot I do not run the A/C until after the test of over with. The 996's registration comes due in January and warm days are a bit of a problem. I try to avoid a real cold day or a day with rain.
The cats work at any temp, but their performance is at max when temp is at max.
For startup, when the cats are still cold, the car uses the Secondary Air Injection System to pump air into the cats to help them catalyze/oxidize quicker.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

and becomes suitably efficient when it reaches 750F.

As a converter ages it becomes less efficient and a higher temperature -- within reason (there's such a thing as too high a temperature with these things) -- helps the converter's efficiency.
Is the not ready status an automatic failure on a smog test? Are suggestions on what I should do now?
... and on both we had to reflash the ECU with a fresh factory setting.
We don't have Smog Testing in Florida so we don't deal with those issues tat much.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

there is only 1 readiness exception. The tech/owner confirmed my research. He also said that this allowance will not be allowed next year (for all MY 99 and newer). The dyno/driving portion of the smog test will be eliminated. Only the OB diagnostic portion of the test will be done.

The smog portion of my test passed with far below average and maximum on all pollutants. All the components are working properly. His solution to my readiness problem is to re-flash the ECU as Pedro recommended. So, unless my system catalyst monitor goes from not complete to complete by itself in the next 2 years (next test), I will have to re-flash the ECU.

Pedro, do you have a ballpark figure for that operation? He also said that often times a re-flash results in improved performance (History of highly successful smog results for this model allow for higher performance ignition/fuel settings). Is that true?

Thanks for your help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login