Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Considering parting out my '01Ssad smiley
IFlyLow - Monday, 17 March, 2014, at 9:22:02 am
This may be giving the fox the keys to the henhouse... My 01S 986 likely had some sort of camshaft failure (chain, tensioner, IMS, I don't know yet) Going to have it towed to the mechanics today, but I don't expect much good news.

I am trying to explore all options. Average cost of used engine (Raby would be nice, but I could never justify it!) Has anyone parted one out, and if so, can you give me a ballpark on how much I can expect to bring in? Would I get more selling it as a complete chassis? Has anyone dealt with LA dismantlers?

Is anyone interested?

Speed yellow, 4 year old top with glass window, body is great, interior is just ok (some water damage to leather.

Any and all input would be appreciated.

BTW, If I do part it out, I'll post it here first.
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I recently purchased an engine for $1900 ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 19 March, 2014, at 6:51:38 am
... plus shipping ($300) from a 2002 Base Tip.
They're out there. You just have to be patient.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Replacement engine
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 19 March, 2014, at 10:12:45 am
As Pedro suggests, inexpensive engines are available as long as you're patient and diligent.

Look on eBay, Craigslist, online forums, and ask around.

Replacing the engine is likely the cheapest option and all of the "while you're in there" stuff will boost your confidence. If you buy a replacement used car with any significant miles then you're buying a new set of unknowns.
Re: You should be able to pick up a replacement for $2.5-3k
IFlyLow - Thursday, 20 March, 2014, at 8:56:25 pm
Thanks for all the info. I'm deploying (AGAIN!?) so I will hold the car til I get back. Hopefully I can find a replacement engine. I can do the work myself, so that should help the cost a bit.
Re: Considering parting out my '01Ssad smiley
Petee_C - Wednesday, 19 March, 2014, at 9:47:59 am
apparently some people are making electric boxsters..... would that be of interest as a project?

Peter
DC Automotive is a NC Porsche dismantler. They run trucks up and down the east coast picking up the carnage. Mileage on the car was irrelevant as was options, stereo, etc etc etc. One price, that was it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
a Porsche specific/only salvage facility.

If you want to get rid of the car parting it out is a pain. You turn your house/garage into a salvage yard and have to deal with people trickling in over years to piece meal carry the car's bones away.

I'd contact a business that deals in Porsche salvage. Oklahoma Foreign is one which I almost did business with when I was looking to sell my 08 Cayman S with a salvage title. There are others. Parts Heaven here in Hayward, CA is one.

I'm not sure what the car's worth as a roller. Couple of years ago when I did some research a base was around $3K.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login