Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Brake rotor replacement
cribfiller - Monday, 17 March, 2014, at 2:32:40 pm
I am getting ready to replace the front and rear discs on MY02 base Boxster, and am confused by the different brands available. Zimmerman, Balo, Sebro etc. I am not understanding the differences between all these brands. I do not track the car, it is my fun/date car and just want something comparable to what came on it from the factory. Any comments would be greatly appreciated as to the differences between all the choices, thanks.
Why not get the ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 17 March, 2014, at 3:08:35 pm
... original rotors?
None of the aftermarket (cheaper) versions hold up like the OEMs.
Even the Zimmermans which are the OEM suppliers don't wear the same and don't have the hats painted which will rust quickly.
The more expensive two-piece rotors (such as Brembo, etc) are very good but they're also very co$tly.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
The wear and performance of my Balo vs original factory...
grant - Monday, 17 March, 2014, at 6:54:38 pm
Is negligible. The Balos may be a bit better, but i dont have a controlled experiment.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
lasts a lot longer than the brake rotors/pads I've bought online.

With shipping the online stuff is not that less expensive than what I get at the dealer. Also, I get a PCA club membership discount at the dealer which helps.

One time I ordered brake hardware online and the front brakes came in ok but the rears were wrong, were the front brakes for an S, believe it or not. Had to call up the business and get a return authorization and go to the trouble of sending the wrong hardware back then waiting for the new hardware to arrive.
For the base 986.. BAlo is awesome quality and very cheap
grant - Monday, 17 March, 2014, at 6:53:50 pm
I've been running them for years, lots of track time. They are fantastic, and very inexpensive.

For the S i can;t get Balo for the rear. Boo.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Thanks for the comments and opinions, it helped.
I have a follow up question, I replaced the front rotors on my02 base, and found it to be a very doable job, thanks for the previous write ups and comments. I did have one issue in that one of the break wear sensors broke when removing. I will order a new set this week. The warning light came on when I started up the car due to the damaged sensor, will this light go out when I get the new ones installed? Will I have to get some one to clear this? Are the wear sensors just plug and play? Thanks.
The brake wear warning light ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 20 April, 2014, at 7:35:40 am
... will go off on its own once the new sensor is plugged back in.
No need to reprogram.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login