Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Treacherous Roads. NPC
Jeff (Philly) - Monday, 21 April, 2014, at 12:38:17 am
More than a decade ago (2000) my wife, daughter and I drove around the Peloponnisos in Greece (seeing Mecina, Malavasia, Sparta, Tripoli and Olympia). The roads to and from Olympia were especially treacherous, curvy and carved into mountain slopes. They had no guard rails, just occasional make shift alters to those that had gone over the edge. The most treacherous part of the drive was from Olympia east up into the mountains to Stemnitsa (you can Google these places to see where they are). At the time it was dusk my wife was in fear of her life, as we would look down thousands of feet from the narrow dirt road we were on, I think that you could characterize her communication to me at the time as screaming.

Tonight my wife forwarded this video of a bus ride in the Himalayas that reminded her of that road in Greece. Link: Himalayas Bus Ride. The difference is we were on our own in a rental car and it was getting dark.

I thought I would share. It is not like the driving around the Blue Ridge.

Jeff Benson:

2016 Boxster, See it here: www.greatvalleyhouse.com/Boxster

First car: 1952 Hudson Hornet

First roadster: 1962 Austin Healy 3000 III

Still have: Computer free 1974 MGB

Previous Porsches since 1982: 924, 944, 944S, and four Boxsters; 97, 03, 08 & 2012
Our driving route in Greece with Greek spellings of the locations.

Charley and I were on our honeymoon in St. Croix. We rented a jeep for the week. There are some very steep mountains and rough terrain on the West side of the island... we were just exploring and ran out of road with pretty much no way out. He ended up being able to turn us around, but it was very nerve-wracking looking down the side of the mountain. It's the first and only time I think I've seen my husband nervous!
Re: Treacherous Roads. NPC
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 21 April, 2014, at 4:14:49 pm
Jeff (Philly)

I thought I would share. It is not like the driving around the Blue Ridge.

I agree. Almost makes the Blue Ridge look like an Interstate highway.

I wonder how long it took the engineers to build that car wash into the roadway.
... because you'll die of hunger first winking smiley
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login