Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I've begun the "leak down test" on my IMS.
grant - Monday, 31 January, 2011, at 9:11:28 pm
I cleaned it off with a tissue, and now have it sitting on a 45 degree angle on a white buck slip, to see what leaks out. Fort the record, after 5 minutes a small drip is visible on the face of the seal - so something is.

Someone asked how much play was in it - if you rock the shaft as if one was stirring a mortar or using a joystick. Answer - there *is* play, but nearly none. Since Charles told me to go ahead, i will dis-assemble it and take pics someday soon.

Grant
Re: I've begun the "leak down test" on my IMS.
Alcantera - Monday, 31 January, 2011, at 9:34:36 pm
Keep us posted ,It will be interesting to see how much comes out and how fast. Did you ask Charles if more northern cars have ims problems than southern cars?
After 12 hours
grant - Tuesday, 1 February, 2011, at 9:15:29 am
nothing on clean white paper.

As to the N/S bit, no i didn't actually speak with Charles yet. And he didn't say in his note.

Grant
Re: After 12 hours
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Tuesday, 1 February, 2011, at 9:17:59 am
Shouldn't it be pointing down with the seal side as that is where oil would get in from and out from.
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Reply with dumb look. *NM*
grant - Tuesday, 1 February, 2011, at 1:54:41 pm
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2011 01:55PM by grant. (view changes)
Re: Reply with dumb look.
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Tuesday, 1 February, 2011, at 1:58:32 pm
My point was if you are trying to establish if there was oil penetration through the inner seal then shouldn't you be letting gravity see if the oil leaks from the bearing through the inner seal. You can also rip the seal off and look and see if there is grease still in among the balls I guess.

I get the impression from reading posts from those who have done it themselves of watched that not all bearings show signs of penetration and those what do show it big time.
Ao far no leak inner either. The problem is that its hard to keep it propped up on an angle.
Ok, now on the other side....
grant - Wednesday, 2 February, 2011, at 1:21:26 pm
There is an oil spot on the paper now. Unclear if this is from the inside, or just the lip where the seal meets the metal. The whole thing was (duh) covered in oil.

See for yourselves. 18-20 hours elapsed:

Grant
The oil spot on the left is from earlier. The one on the right formed over the past 36+ hours.

Grant
When I checked my bearing for oil penetration, I removed one seal - it easily flips out - and put the open side down on the paper.
No seepage was evident after leaving overnight and what appeared to be a little grease was causing the bearings still to drag when rotating it by hand.
The dual row bearing assembly had completed 47,000 mile with approx 9 oil changes over 9 years
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login