Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Headlight Problem
bnsc100 - Thursday, 3 February, 2011, at 1:05:26 pm
Thought I would ask before pulling things apart.

1999 Standard Boxster
32K miles (pleaseure driver)

Issue:
When ignition switch is OFF and lights are ON, one headlight burns dim in "parking mode", the other is dark (No burn at all). When I turn the ignition, the "dark" light kicks into standard low beam burn and the light that worked with switch off (dim parking mode) goes out completely (dark). Both work on hi beam with ignition on.

Resolutions:
1. Ignition has been difficult to turn first time after being left for weeks (play car not driven daily, always the case). I replaced the Audi plug behind the ignition. Did not resolve difficult "cold" turning or lights.

2. After research I assume I have two burnd out bulbs. One "parking" bulb on one side and one "low beam" bulb on other. Assuming dim parking light has it's own bulb aside from low beam and hi beam?

3. Light switch?

What do you guys think? Am I confused on the number of bulbs and what they do / can burnt bulbs cause this? Sorry if this is covered and I missed it.
Re: Headlight Problem
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Thursday, 3 February, 2011, at 1:55:23 pm
Since there are 3 bulbs of the same type in the standard headlights, I'd suggest a move em around scenerio to see if the problem follows the bulb or the socket. Only trick is to remember that the low beam is high in the assembly and high beam is low.

So take your high beam bulb from one and put it in the low beam of the failing one. Since the bulb is known good, you'll have a quick diagnosis. How to change bulbs is in the owner's manual.

Plan on buying 4 bulbs and taking the 2 old good ones and stashing them somewhere as spares. That way the critical to safety bulbs will all be fresh.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login