Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Winter driving the boxster
Alcantera - Saturday, 5 February, 2011, at 12:35:42 am
I have been winter driving my car for a few weeks now and I am really having fun with it. I can turn off the PSM and do doughnuts like Kenny block, tail out power slides its just a blast to drive. We have had two beautiful consecutive Sundays; and Lynne and I have gone for 5 &6 hour drives. The 3.2 just loves that cold air! If anyone is thinking of using their car as a daily driver I say do it ,12 months of Boxstering beats 6 months. I may even take it down to Florida in march, I'm just wondering which tires to run.smiling bouncing smiley
I have snows on mine!
grant - Saturday, 5 February, 2011, at 9:51:56 am
Did donuts in the church parking lot just after it snowed last...whenever.

Plus, no car benefits from sitting idle. Just keep the salt off when possible. I try to do a car wash after every major snow/salt infestation.

Its a good winter car. Warms quickly. Loves the dense, cold air ("nature's intercooler"). Mid engine layout provides adequate traction. Very, very low though! I bottomed out pullingout of my mechanic buddy's shop yesterday. Over ice/snow pack, BANG. No damage.

Grant
Re: I have snows on mine!
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 6 February, 2011, at 8:53:08 pm
grant
I try to do a car wash after every major snow/salt infestation.
Grant

That would be every time I pull the car out of the garage in this neck of the woods. sad smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Re: I have snows on mine!
Red_Lightnin! - Tuesday, 8 February, 2011, at 12:18:47 pm
grant
Did donuts in the church parking lot just after it snowed last...whenever.

Grant

Boxsters for Jesus!

1998 986 Turbo-Look Cab
172,000 Miles
Dilithium Crystal Supercharger
Actually, i tried to "fish-tail" :-) *NM*
grant - Tuesday, 8 February, 2011, at 5:19:33 pm
Re: Winter driving to Florida
tom coughlin - Monday, 7 February, 2011, at 9:29:15 am
A couple of years ago I drove from Boston to FL and home via the Tail of the Dragon. I left in early March and kept my winter tires on. They worked just fine, and in my case I don't drive that much when the snow's on the ground, so putting a few miles on the winter tires wasn't a problem. The cold cornering and braking were important however.
One thing I remember from that several thousand mile trip was that the seat bolster (that never gives me a problem) started to hurt my butt/thigh after a full day driving. The fix was to sit on a folded towel which raised me above the offending point of contact. I wasn't bothered the rest of the trip. Enjoy the ride.
Re: Winter driving the boxster
dennisafrompa - Monday, 7 February, 2011, at 8:49:06 pm
I've driven a Boxster cross-country to CA twice and to FL at least 4 times in the winter with summer tires only.

Never an issue. I know cold temps scare folks here but I've driven in 20 degree temps with PS2s and never had a scary moment.....They do warm up even in the cold.
Re: Winter driving the boxster
tom coughlin - Wednesday, 9 February, 2011, at 9:34:59 am
I used to winter-drive on summer tires and had a few scares. I think the most important point is the increased braking distance required, something that is hard to control in emergency situations. You can choose to slow down on curves, or quickly correct when you mid-engine car wiggles (what the hell was that?) on the interstate on-ramp, but you don't have any control over when some idiot cuts you off!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login