Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Bloody ignition switch. sad smiley. Need help.
Michael(Houston) - Sunday, 6 February, 2011, at 6:31:27 pm
Guys, I'm stuck.....

Ignition switch issues, so I opted to replace the whole mechanism rather then just the electrical part.

Anyway. Got everything out and laying on the floor mat (most of my arm skin is still in the dash). What I cant get apart is the actual tumbler part off the old assembly. The instructions onther places say...

Disconnect battery.
Remove trim cover at ignition lock cylinder (shows a picture of a flat blade slipped under and prying it out).
Insert ignition key and turn to position 1 (ignition ON). Insert straightened paper clip into hole at top right of key slot as far as possible (this releases lock cylinder). Pull lock cylinder out of steering lock housing.
Disconnect immobilizer induction coil electrical harness connector from ignition cylinder barrel.

Well, I turn the key, insert the paper clip, and for the life of me I cannot get the tumbler out

Any advise?

Grant
Use a thicker paper clip
Boxsterra - Sunday, 6 February, 2011, at 11:06:35 pm
You're basically pushing a button that is straight back but the paper clip can go off to the side on the way back. Try to keep the end of the paper clip that you're inserting towards the center of the lock cylinder so that it doesn't stray off track. When you finally get it, the cylinder will pop.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login