Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Something to debate
Alcantera - Monday, 7 February, 2011, at 6:19:52 pm
I was driving beside the snowmobile trail the other day and A sled blew past me as I was driving down the road. I started to think about a Boxster with a couple off direct injected two cycle engines powering it ,Those motors make 180 hp each and weigh about 75lbs . . two cycle GP bikes used to go like stink. they are fuel efficient ,don't pollute to much , So what am i missing? I even tried you tube ,thinking someone has to have tried this? 1600 cc would get you 360hp 3200cc would be 720 hp even the big outboards motors would give great power, So guys why not?
Land speed records
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Monday, 7 February, 2011, at 6:43:12 pm
have been set by multiple motors. But do any of those engines you named run 200k miles? Think of keeping them synchronized in the varied conditions cars operate in. And aren't we moving towards multiple motors with the Volt and similar EVs?
Re: Something to debate
Roger987 - Monday, 7 February, 2011, at 6:59:12 pm
If you're inquiring as to why 2-strokes are no longer popular, notwithstanding their better power-to-weight ratio:

1. they pollute considerably more than 4 strokes;

2. they are less fuel-efficient;

3. they wear out more quickly;

4. they sound like two-strokes. grinning smiley

At least that's how it was a couple decades ago.
Alcantera - Monday, 7 February, 2011, at 8:17:44 pm
Roger check the specs on say a skidoo 800 vs a Yamaha 4 stoke and you may be surprised , or a evinrude outboard vs a 4 stroke merc. I don't think 200k would be possible but my thought was a track car. Have a look at this video [www.youtube.com]
Bring back Saab two cycles! *NM*
EdSac - Monday, 7 February, 2011, at 8:27:14 pm
Roger987 - Monday, 7 February, 2011, at 9:45:38 pm
Certainly when I was a teenager, the 2 stroke bikes were very quick. I recall for instance, the Kawasaki 500 and 750 triples. Lightning fast, but vibrated so badly the rider's feet would go numb in no time. The Yamaha RD350 was, and is, legendary.

Kawasaki introduced the 900cc twin-cam 4-stroke, and knocked the king (the Honda 750 four) off the mountain. I think that was the beginning of the end of 2-stroke road bikes. 2-stroke dirt bikes stayed around a while longer.

Again, if memory serves me correctly, Honda led the change to 4-stroke outboards. Quiet, no smoke and huge fuel economy compared to the 2 strokes.

But all that was a long time ago. I don't know whether the aspects of 2-strokes which led to their demise have been improved upon. No question that, for their size and weight, they make big horsepower.
garyinseattle - Tuesday, 8 February, 2011, at 10:55:21 am
I had a Kawasaki 750 for about two years when I was in college. It was scary fast, would lift the front tire off the ground in 1st if you twisted the throttle too hard. It also would make my arms go numb after about 60 minutes of riding if I didn't take a break.
I don't know how...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 8 February, 2011, at 12:12:44 pm
... many thousand miles I put on this baby

[i153.photobucket.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Mine was blue, but the rest was exactly as shown.
100 cc 2 stroke at 18,000 RPM burning a mixture of castor oil and nitromethane.
Man, that was power!
I loved the smell of Karting in the morning.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
paulwdenton - Tuesday, 8 February, 2011, at 7:00:20 pm
Well, I owned a Yamaha SUV-1200 jetski with a 135 HP 2-stroke engine for several years. Engine had direct oil injection so it was pretty convenient; start and ran every time like a scalded dog. Really a fun machine and I loved it, but holy camoley, that thing would smoke. If you were wakeboarding or tubing behind it, you made a good effort not to be inside the wake where most of the smoke was. And BTW this was a very normal condition for a 2-stroke jetski. My parents used 2-stroke Lawnboy mowers since the 1970s and they smoke, too. My weedwhacker and snowblower are 2-strokes and guess what, they smoke, too. These things MUST produce a lot of pollution. Small wonder they are becoming scarce.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login