Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Hi Everyone:
I replaced clutch slave on 2000 2.7 Boxster. Then pumped pressure to 22 psi. with clutch pedal to floor. Let air out of bleeder valve. Pulled clutch up by hand. Clutch would not go down all the way. At this point I had not relieved pressure from Motive.
I pushed a little harder with my hand on clutch pedal. I then noted fluid leaking at slave; but not at bleeder or line. Then a lot of fluid leaked out of line (black) beside battery. No fluid leaked on floorboard at master. Did all of this happen because I didn't relieve pressure from Motive before pressing on the clutch? Also if I have to replace the line from the reservoir to battery area, how is line attached to reservoir. I don't see a clip or a push fitting.
Thanks,
Garry
A few things....
grant - 8 years ago
1. you should not have to relieve pressure from the motive, but then again, if it is pressurized, you also should not have to pump it.
2. You indicated that you bled air out of the bleeder, and pulled the clutch [pedal - you didnt say this either] up. You did nto indicate whether you closed the bleeder, I hope so.
3. If fluid is coming out under the hood or at the slave, not at the bleeder, it appears that you have both 1) a blockage at the bleeder and 2) a leak elsewhere. At worst, i would expect it to come out the top of the reservoir, just as if one presses in the brake pistons.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
It's a little unusual for it to leak there unless some work has been done in that area. There's nothing you described that would cause this except possibly that you pressurized it too much (30+ psi).

You are going to need to fix that leak and bleed the system again, unfortunately.
I typically use 15 lbs. Sufficient. I worry first about things like the plastic expansion tank.

The only indication i have seen for more pressure is to bleed the ABS system, with it running - that advice came from Audi and was, i believe for 25 psi.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I doubt that the problem was caused by overpressure. More likely the problem was already there but was exacerbated by overpressure.
Hmm, My Bentley Manual says 22psi. I've serviced my own cars since 1979 and have never encountered this, however I've usually done a 2 person bleed on hydraulics. I actually did increase the pressure a tad, due to fluid/air not sufficiently purging from the slave bleeder. In hindsight I think the bleeder screw with 2 O-rings on the end needs to be opened more than most. I guess I'll repeat the procedure and keep the pressure lower and open the bleeder screw more when bleeding. I was initially going to try a speed bleeder with the built in check valve on the slave, but then noted the o-rings on the original that speed bleeders don't have. I guess I'll have to suck it up and order another slave; I don't see anyway for the piston to stay in it's cylinder, no snap ring or anything. Strangely though the boot was relaxed and not stretched out when I got it new in the box.
Thanks for your replies,
Garry
And no I haven't done any work near the master. As I mentioned in the earlier post I did however have my pressure a bit over 22psi, and I totally screwed up and pulled the clutch pedal up, then pushed it down without first relieving pressure at the reservoir.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login