Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Sport exhaust failure
Bobtesa - Friday, 11 February, 2011, at 5:03:35 pm
My 2008 developed a clicking noise at cold start, so I brought it to the dealer. It turns out to be the "flaps" in the SE unit.

There have been discussions here about the pros/cons of SE. While it adds a nice tune, I would not order this $2,500 option, but it was standard on my RS Spyder.

For folks considering this option, you should know that mine is not the first SE failure the dealer has seen, and out of warranty, the reps quick estimate was it would cost about $5K to "fix". Well, that's the problem, you can't fix it, you have to replace the whole thing! The flaps, mufflers, and catalytic converters (read $$$) are a single sealed unit.

(My plan, if this happens again after warranty, is to see if I can't get a specialty shop to cut the units open, put the flap in a fixed open position, and then weld it back together. This would not be cheap, but it would permantly solve the problem.)

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Re: Sport exhaust failure
jwdbox - Friday, 11 February, 2011, at 7:34:17 pm
Could you provide some additional description of the clicking noise? I have the PSE on SilverBox (a 2008) that I thoroughly enjoy. However I normally push the PSE on as soon as I start the engine and leave it that way. Did you hear the clicking noise when the PSE was on or off? Thanks. cool smiley
Bobtesa - Friday, 11 February, 2011, at 7:58:38 pm
Yes, I too push the pse at start up in spring, summer and fall, but I don't do it on my winter warm up runs (I drive the car about once or twice a week in winter to fully warm up just to keep it running and the fluids running through it). So, pse was off.

Let me distinquish between two pse noises. First, there were posts here about a year ago about a singly occurring noise (not repetitive) at, as I recall about 3k rpm. I have this too, but that is not the noise I recently developed. Second noise, bad flaps, is like clicking valves or lifters, or some such clicking that is in sync with engine rpms. It backed off when I pushed the clutch in, and rose with rising rpms. Not too loud, but clearly noticable.
thanks *NM*
jwdbox - Friday, 11 February, 2011, at 8:11:10 pm
nmanitou (Doug in MI) - Friday, 11 February, 2011, at 11:10:24 pm
I think that post was from me. I also have a RS60 with PSE and had a "rattle" while accelerating through 2,100 rpm or so. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the whole muffler assembly. It was quiet for a while then it reappeared. I just live with it because it is minor and honestly the "PSE on" exhaust note is so intoxicating I forgive this slight quirk.

Your new issue sounds very different so keep us posted on the outcome.

Current Love: 2008 RS60; 1st Love: 2001 base, triple black
can't somene just cut out the flaps and be done with it?
grant - Friday, 11 February, 2011, at 7:34:23 pm
i hate unnecessary complexity.

Grant
I talked with the Porsche service manager about removing the flaps. That would be fine with me as I always like the sound "on". I don't think that they can take this route as a warranty repair, but I will see if it can be done if it happens out of warranty. But, as the service manager explained, that will require taking off the rear bumper, removing the system, cutting into the muffler, removing the flaps, then welding the muffler back together. Even if this can be done, I expect it won't be cheap.
I seem to recall a while back that someone had come up with an electronic workaround. Maybe someone will recall the posting. That would be simpler than the cut/weld rework.
I have done much the same to the older style exhaust . I would not pay Porsche to do this work , get any muffler shop to remove the system then take a zip cut on an angle grinder and cut open the muffler and remove the flaps. Take it to a welding shop and get them to tig it back together; if you were close I could get that done by my buddy ( tigmond Floyd ) . Take it back to the muffler shop and reinstall. The dash could be popped open and the switch removed and a blank installed. I would guess this would cost about $300 to do ,less if you pull the muffler yourself . I nice job for a rainy day
That would be my plan *NM*
grant - Saturday, 12 February, 2011, at 9:09:19 am
Jim 'n' SC - Saturday, 12 February, 2011, at 7:01:53 am
I was considering ordering PSE on a new 2011 Boxster. I currently have a Carrera with a Fabspeed MaxFlo muffler and 200 cel cats. Love the sound.

After reading this post its makes me question wether to get the factory set up or get the Fabspeed for the Boxster? I will most likely leave it on all the time so switching back and forth is not really important.
Bobtesa - Saturday, 12 February, 2011, at 7:39:11 am
Jim,

Let me try to clarify the situation for PSE in case it helps to inform your decision of exhaust types. I don't know anyting about after market exhaust, but if it is a system w/o mechanical moving parts, then you couldn't have this problem.

However, PSE has an electronically controlled moving part, the flaps. The way things are set up, you can't just "leave it on all the time". If your thinking is that by doing this, the flaps would never go bad, you can't. After buying the car, my routine became automatic: start car, hit the PASM button, hit the PSE button. I quickly learned that I really wanted to have PSE on at start up to hear the grawl as the engine kicks in. So, I asked if there was a pre-set that would allow PSE to be on at start up rather than off. Can't do it. Bottom line, if your thinking is that by "leaving it on all the time" the flaps will never be used and hence will likely never have a problem, this won't work because you have to engage the mechanical parts of the system, flaps, at least once for each ride.
Paul S. - Saturday, 12 February, 2011, at 12:11:50 pm
I don't know if Porsche changed the Porsche Sport Exhaust since my 2006 Club Coupe, and if they did not, you have two options to have the PSE in the always on or open position. One entailed disconnecting and plugging a vacuum hose on the control switch and the other was unplugging the relay. Both are accessible from the engine compartment, which is easier on a Carrera than a Boxster. But y'all wanted mid engine instead of rear, so you have to work a bit harder. smiling smiley

I did the former on mine (actually Boardwalk Porsche did it for me at delivery) using the disconnect and plug the vacuum hose.

See this thread for details. I would try that before cutting open the exhaust system. Might be a much easier fix.

PSE Fix

Current Porsche: PCA Club Coupe 2 of 50

Past: 02 986 S

01 996 Turbo

00 Millenium Coupe

99 996 C2

99 Boxster

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 12:14PM by Paul S.. (view changes)
Re: Sport exhaust failure /another idea
Alcantera - Saturday, 12 February, 2011, at 3:01:03 pm
Over on planet nine there is a guy building a cayman race car, he is selling the stock parts. since your car shares the same system with a cayman you may be able to get a stock muffler Part #98711312403 from him.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login