Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I am looking for feedback from folks who have Extended Navigation. I have a 2006 987S Boxster with PCM 2.1 and thinking of adding the extended option.

I find in Canada there are lots of "OFF Road" roads and I think with the extended navigation it will learn these roads??

I am also looking for feedback on the map updates that Porsche offers...I am wondering how "updated" they are.

Any feedback would be welcome.

I do have a Garmin with free map updates, however I enjoy using my PCM and if these updates enhance my entertainment value, I will update.

Thanks.

MIKELLIG
Mike, as I think you know, I really liked the PCM 2.1 on my 987. Admittedly, it doesn't have capability to accept route planning from another computer (garmins will do this), but the integration with the rest of the electronics is excellent - the display in the instrument cluster is very useful, with superb turn accuracy, and I really like the way it turns down/off the music while the navigation lady is speaking.

Twice I bought updated map DVD's and they made a BIG difference. Even tiny roads in PEI (which itself is tiny) were on the latest (bought in 2014) update - in fact, more accurate maps than on my 2014 Audi. The most recent DVD was in my 987 when it met its end...

I'm not familiar with 'extended navigation'.

HTH
Thanks Roger. When you get the DVD...can you just plug and play?

MIKELLIG
BLKBOXS
Thanks Roger. When you get the DVD...can you just plug and play?

Yup. Eject the old one and insert the new one (in the DVD machine in the frunk).

It won't be as current as the constantly-updating Garmin maps, but it will be much better than a 3 or 4 year old DVD.
I got a quote from the Porsche dealer in London Ontario and they told me it will take about 2hrs to set up the updated disc @ $129 per hour.

"Installation is $129.00 + tax and could take up to 2 hours"

Does this make sense?

MIKELLIG
OK.. So I could not stand to pay what the Dealer was asking for the updated maps for my 2006 987S PCM 2.1.It was going to be almost 600 CND$ - 369 plus 2 Hrs installation fee??

Thanks to Roger he stated the updates were substantial enough ...even in the east coast. I solicited 2 close to me Porsche Dealers and both of them had the upgrade discs at $369 and one at $368, however one dealer stated that they needed 2 hrs of installation time and the other stated like Roger, I needed only the disc swap.

What to do...so many conflictsangry smiley

After searching many forums I found a website that offered the 5 disc set for $182 CND including shipping.($120 US Funds)

www.carsnavigation.com

After investigating it seemed to be legit. What the heck... I placed my order and immediately got an email confirming my purchase and the tracking # that would be used....good so far. I found out that it was being shipped from Bosnia?

I received my package about 5 days laterthumbs up

It contained 5 discs.

1) PCM 2.1 Multimedia Update CD 1 911 Boxster Cayman
2) PCM 2.1 Multimedia Update CD 1 911 Boxster Cayman
3) PCM 2.1 Multimedia Update CD Cayenne
4) PCM 2.1 Multimedia Update CD Navigation
5) 2013 PCM DVD- Navigation North America

No Instructions supplied...so I just swapped the navigation update DVD. (item # 5)

Did it work -- NO!! The DVD was unreadable...so I am thinking ..do I have rev B or not. I was 90% sure I did after check my PCM setting by hitting "Main and Trip" and coming off with at least :

"05024XXX"

I email my contact in Bosnia...They left an email for any issues. He stated (it took him 5 min to reply on a Saturday night) to follow the direction that were sentconfused smiley....none were sent though..He sent them to me in about a minute...great service...I love Bosniagrinning smiley

After reading the instructions I needed to install disc # 4 first and follow the procedure...then install the map DVD.

Did it work...NOangry smiley

I sent more emails later Saturday night...Sunday Bosnia time with as expected no reply.

I tried the procedure many more times though the wee hours of the night...and nothing doinangry smiley

After a nice eggs and sausage breakfast I decided to try again....didn't work. You must remember.. I could not go back to my old DVD because I installed the Nav update CD # 4 above.

I checked the DVD and it had been handled many times...time for a good alcohol cleaning I thought.

One more time...It workedhot smiley I guess I must have smudged it up bad enough confused smiley

Life is good again...Nice updates!!!

MIKELLIG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2015 05:42PM by BLKBOXS. (view changes)
Way to go Mike. Shows how sticktoitness can pay off.

Of course, alcohol helps. smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login