Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
garage full of smoke
bb1 - 8 years ago
Hi Folks - 2000 Boxster - 74k miles - usually goes ~1 wk between being driven. The last few times I have done the cold start I have noticed a lot of smoke coming out the back. (over past few yrs I would say it's normall to see a little bit - but I'm talking more than that, and definitely seems to be getting worse over last 3-4 times). Driving-wise seems to be pretty much normal. I scoured this forum for some old posts. I could guess at a couple things from that but would prefer to ask here. Other than maintenance (oil changes primarily) I really can't recall having done much if anything to the engine except had the water pump replaced once.

Could some of the experts here please chime in on what most likely is wrong (before I take it to an independent shop or even the dealer) and how likely it's going to suddenly strand me if not taken care of?
Thanks so much
Forgot to mention - as for visual inspection of any leaking fluids. Very small amount of oil perhaps showing on the garage floor under the engine. Just enough to discolor but not pooling up or anything. Yes I can see some oil grimeage on the sides of the bottom part of the engine if I peer in just in front of the rear wheel (this is nothing new though so doubtful it's related - just will mention - Few yrs back I was told the spark plug tubes were starting to leak some but never fixed it)
If you are not losing coolant...then I would say it is your AOS.

How is your oil usage?

MIKELLIG
It's a relatively straightforward repair. You can do it yourself (a couple of hours + $120 part).

It's a common problem. Your model year almost always has this problem eventually. The rubber bladder in the air-oil separator gives out causing oil to dump into the intake.

Don't drive the car with this happening. Eventually it risks hydrolocking the engine.
No biggie -- my 2002 is on its 3rd replacement AOS -- but heed Boxsterra's good advice and do not run the engine any. Get the car to a qualified shop for a new AOS or do this your self if you are so inclined.
Hi folks - thanks for replying w/ that information. Coolant and oil levels are normal and no evidence they are dropping. So I will certainly work to get the AOS fixed based on what I have heard.
Eventually the oil level would go down noticeably but you'd probably have destroyed the engine before then.

This repair is pretty routine. Book time is 2 hours. I'm confident I can do it in 45 minutes, having done several of them (on various cars).
...nearly all of it spent fighting the AoS to push into the block sideways, with nothing to gain leverage from.....
Those that push in vertically, like my 2004, I find much, much easier. Maybe if i did a bunch of times i'd get the time down, but i don't wish to test that theory.
Note this car is a MY 2000 - the early kind.

Of course my replacement on the MY'00 car is a sample of one. Maybe there was something odd about mine a slight mis-mold etc.

Its not complicated, just difficult to get at.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
3 bolts, 2 hoses, and a hose clamp (which can be seen from the right rear wheel well) hold it in place. All of these are relatively easy to access.

Indeed, the wiggling out and back in takes finesse. At first, getting the hose clamp in place seated properly was the hardest part for me but once I got $10 hose clamp pliers it became easy. But once you've done it a few times, it's all pretty easy.

I wonder how long it takes the Porsche techs. With a lift it's easier to reach the bellows on the bottom.
bb1
Hi folks - thanks for replying w/ that information. Coolant and oil levels are normal and no evidence they are dropping. So I will certainly work to get the AOS fixed based on what I have heard.

It is under warranty? If not ....so darn close it should be covered....right?

MIKELLIG
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2015 08:47PM by RainyDayGarage. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login