Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Hi Folks - 1 more issue I'm deliberating on my 2000 Boxster w/ 75k miles.

For some time some oil has been seen around the bottom of the engine near spark plugs. The plugs nor anything around there has ever been replaced.

I am thinking about getting new plugs and tubes done.

1) How important would it be to replace the coils @ same time - I know that will add considerably to the total $ - so trying to see how important that would be, etc

2) Are there other related parts I should make sure to tell the shop to do when getting this done? Other than o-rings or such?

Thanks
From an ignition POV it seems to be running fine now too
Coil replacement is a trivial job. I would do it only when/if the car has problems related to that.

If you're replacing the tubes and seals yourself, make sure not to over-tighten the coil bolts as that causes them to crack and fail.

This is a fairly easy DIY if you're interested in doing it yourself.
bb1
Hi Folks - 1 more issue I'm deliberating on my 2000 Boxster w/ 75k miles.

For some time some oil has been seen around the bottom of the engine near spark plugs. The plugs nor anything around there has ever been replaced.

I am thinking about getting new plugs and tubes done.

1) How important would it be to replace the coils @ same time - I know that will add considerably to the total $ - so trying to see how important that would be, etc

2) Are there other related parts I should make sure to tell the shop to do when getting this done? Other than o-rings or such?

Thanks

Absent any misfires the decision to replace the coils depends upon if you want to engage in a bit of premature preemptive preventative maintenance. Or if the coils act up shortly after the plug R&R, are you willing to accept the responsibility for the expense of a coil R&R, which almost duplicates the labor of a plug R&R?

Now this is not to say the coils will act up. In some cases one can go through a number of sets of plugs and the coils remain just fine. (My Boxster is one such case although some infrequent -- every few weeks or so -- misfiring upon cold start has me thinking it is time to replace the coils in the Boxster. With nearly 294K miles I think I have gotten my money's worth out of the original coils.)

The coils can be reused if they are handled with care and an inspection finds no reason to replace them. The Porsche techs treat them like glass. If a tech tosses them in a cart or on the bench they can suffer from this. The tech should inspect them carefully for cracks. If any cracks the coils are closer to the end of their life than they are to the beginning. Keep in mind not all coils can look the same, too. The two rear most might be the worst ones as they live in a particularly dirty place compared to the others which are further away from rear tire splash. However, at the miles the car has if the tech finds just a couple or even one suspect coil I'd advise you replace them all.

Besides the plugs, tubes/o-rings, and possibly coils, you want the car checked over for any other items that might need attention.

This includes the serpentine belt. If this is original it is past it replace by date. When the belt is off the water pump -- all accessory drives in fact -- should be checked for any leak sign and bearing play checked too -- and the CV boots and the engine and its subsystems given a good inspection for any leak sign. The engine and tranny mounts should also be checked.

Also, how are the engine air filter and cabin air filter? Do the radiator ducts have trash? Are the body water drains clear?
Since you need to remove them to get at the plugs, inspect them well.
Cracks in the casing allow moisture to get in, and are one of the failure modes. You can at least look for that.

I cant think of anything beyond the plugs, tube, and seals. 75k is a lot of miles for plugs.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I will be replacing plugs as part of the 60k service on my 2001 S.

Is it recommended to go ahead and change all of the tubes and seals at the same time, or only if they are damaged/leaking?

Thanks.

- Rob
The new seals are better than the originals. But if one or more starts leaking you can just replace it then. It's not urgent. On the other hand, the parts are cheap (about $10 for each tube with 2 seals).

I just do them as they go bad. On my 1999, 4 out of 6 have gone bad over 17 years.
Rob in KC
I will be replacing plugs as part of the 60k service on my 2001 S.

Is it recommended to go ahead and change all of the tubes and seals at the same time, or only if they are damaged/leaking?

Thanks.

- Rob

You can ask your tech what he recommends. Or you can price the parts/labor and decide if you want to engage in a bit of pre-emptive maintenance and have these renewed sans any signs of any leaks.

Myself, I waited until the leaks showed up. Took a long time but eventually the tech said it was time to replace the o-rings (and maybe the tubes, too, I can't recall now). The o-rings were in tatters.

But there were a number of plug changes that came before in which the original tubes/o-rings were left in service.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login