Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Replacing Boxster S (2001) axles and wheel bearing
artandscience - Sunday, 13 February, 2011, at 4:00:53 pm
So I finally finished the job yesterday. About 14hrs of work - 8 hrs to remove and 6 hours to reinstall.

I R&R'd both rear axles and removed the wheel bearing carrier and had the bearing replaced with a new FAG ($131 for bearing and labor).

Lessons learned:

Complete removal of a part (the CAT converter section) of the exhaust system is required on both sides.
Dropping the sway bar down (main mounts to body) means you don't have to disconnect the sway bar at the link ends.
If you use a hoist, be careful to remove the main diagonal brace bolts near the jack stands before you hoist the car.
Re-installing the reinforcement plate (under the transmission) has always been a bitch. Figured out that if you loosen (not remove) the main bolts holding the suspension cross piece on which it mounts (2 only) it becomes tremendously easier. Haven't found this documented anywhere.
Be prepared that loosening the exhaust bolt near the CAT converter, it might break (mine did). Replaced with a nice stainless after Dremeling off the weld, removing the nut, and filing the area flat.
Re-installing the parking brake shoes was a bit of a bitch. Needed two people to put the lower spring back in place.
A hoist is not essential but will GREATLY speed up the job.

I could likely do this much more quickly now that I know everything that is required.

If you're contemplating this, feel free to write, as everything is pretty fresh in my mind at this point!
Re: Replacing Boxster S (2001) axles and wheel bearing
dghii - Sunday, 13 February, 2011, at 9:43:52 pm
Congrats. I'm sure you're happy to have that task behind you. It's a big job to say the least. I did one rear bearing a few months back and 'enjoyed' it so much I decided I wouldn't do the other side until it started to scream. My axles and boots look fine right now but I'm sure I'll be looking at that job too at some point.

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login