Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Ignition switch replacement.
TCinNJ - Tuesday, 15 February, 2011, at 11:43:45 am
First, the good news is that the ignition switch decided to fail while the car is sitting in my garage.
Inserted key this morning and it won't turn.
Seems that I am not the first person on the board to have this problem.
Questions: Is it an easy fix to replace an ignition switch? Does anyone have step-by-step instructions? Best place to buy a new switch? I presume new keys are required so does that mean that the keys have to programmed?
Your kind assistance is greatly appreciated.
TC
I had it done. But many owners have done work themselves. It is not hard, IIRC, but 'fiddly' (awkward) and a stubby screwdriver handle with the proper bit to get at the screws that hold the switch assembly in place is almost required.

Anyhow, I bet you'd find link to DIY article at Pedro's Garage web site.

Unless you have to replace the key tumbler portion and I do not know of anyone that has to do this you do not have to get new keys. The switch consists of 3 parts: The portion into which the key fits (the key tumbler portion), a rather large alum. assembly, and at the very back the electrical switch assembly.

Almost always it is the electrical switch assembly along with the alum. assembly that gets replaced. Porsche no longer supports just the replacement of the electrical portion as there were too many comebacks. So the techs have to replace the alum. assembly and the electrical switch. But of course you are free to replace only what you feel you must. However, if the key won't turn this to me suggests very strongly the alum. assembly requires replacement and I'd be inclined to replace the electrical switch assembly as well. It is not expensive and the effort to do both is the same to do just one item. (The hardest part is gettin to the switch assembly, removing it, and getting it back. 'Fiddly' is how the techs describe the task.)

Sincerely,

MarcW.
9 times out of 10
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 15 February, 2011, at 2:25:41 pm
The problem is with the electrical portion of the switch. That is a quick DIY but depending on your ability to work upside down and fit your head and arms under the dash, it can be a pain. In the best case, it takes about 5 minutes. In the worst case, you contort and bitch and swear just to remove two screws that are right in front of your face and it takes 30 minutes.

DIY instructions here: [pedrosgarage.com]
Re: 9 times out of 10
cribfiller - Tuesday, 15 February, 2011, at 3:37:38 pm
Second that about being a contortionist, I did it, and if I can anyone can.
Thanks guys. *NM*
TCinNJ - Tuesday, 15 February, 2011, at 4:14:13 pm
Re: Ignition switch replacement.
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Tuesday, 15 February, 2011, at 4:40:49 pm
Contortionist skills are definitely put to the test. My biggest problem was finding the right screw driver. The handles on jeweler's type (needed for the tiny mounting screws) are too small to get enough grip to loosen/tighten the screws. After a few trips to Home Depot, and other tool stores, I gave up and made one myself. I bought a screw driver with multiple bits, took an old golf ball and drilled a hole, shot in some epoxy then inserted the small driver bit. I had a picture somewhere but can't track it down. This made a screw driver that was short enough to fit, but plenty of surface area to palm/grip which made all the difference for me. Good luck.
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Tuesday, 15 February, 2011, at 4:47:40 pm
This was the screw driver I started with to build my "Titleist Driver" smiling smiley ...

nmanitou (Doug in MI) - Tuesday, 15 February, 2011, at 8:15:42 pm
It's doable, even for a girthy inflexible guy like me. As long as you're ready to utter a few obscenities in the process. I found this right angle ratcheting screw driver very helpful in the tight space.

[www.lowes.com]|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Screwdrivers%2Band%2BNut%2BDrivers_4294857616_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1%26page%3D3

Current Love: 2008 RS60; 1st Love: 2001 base, triple black
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Tuesday, 15 February, 2011, at 10:07:10 pm
I found the pic, it was a Top Flight Driver, not a Titleist, but I don't think the brand is too critical winking smiley

TC, I have a spare one in my Boxster's front trunk....
CarreraLicious - Wednesday, 16 February, 2011, at 6:30:49 am
Let me know if you need it. smiling smiley

Current: 07 Carrera S Cab - Midnight Blue/Sand Beige
Previous: 01 Boxster - (formerly boxtaboy), 86 944, Instagram: @Carreralicious
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login