Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Intermittent Starting Issue
cweldon978 - Saturday, 19 February, 2011, at 7:29:42 am
I am starting to see an issue starting the car. Here are the symptoms:

1. First, then I insert the key (just inserting..not turning) I get the normal response all the time... (a few things on the dash light up)
2. When I turn the key to start the car there is always a 1 - 2 second delay from when the key is turned to its stop and the car responds
3. Other than the delay the car turns over no problem, however...
4. Sometimes nothing happens when i turn the key to its stop and eventually a light says to "relieve steering lock" - so I juggle and play until the steering releases... this is sometimes a bit of doing. Then it turns over (see 2)
5. Now I've started to have nothing happen and the steering is not locked. I then turn the steering wheel, remove and reinsert the key, let the car drift a bit, fiddle with the shifter, turn the key and turn the wheels and eventually i get the car to respond to the key

No difference noticed between cold and warn starts. This something familiar? and common issues exist around the ignition switch, etc?

Its a 2005 987s
Ignition switch ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 19 February, 2011, at 8:15:51 am
... here's the fix:
[www.pedrosgarage.com]

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Ignition switch ...
cweldon978 - Saturday, 19 February, 2011, at 12:12:09 pm
Pedro,
Thanks for the quick reply. My symptoms don't match the ones you highlight on your site... but I imagine that a failure of the electrical functions in the switch can produce a variety of symptoms. It does feel seem like its an electrical...switch type issue. The part you mention - the audi part - will that work in a 987? I see plenty of discussion about that part working in 986's. Also see mention of Porsche changing the the design to remedy this issue. Any idea when the design changed? I would love to have a fix as simple as you outline.
If you read through...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 19 February, 2011, at 6:45:56 pm
... the link provided you'll see that I give out the correct part number for 2004 and newer cars.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login