Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Serious problem with Camaro -- NBC
JM-Stamford,CT - Wednesday, 23 February, 2011, at 6:48:09 pm
On my camaro ....The steel mount attaching the panhard bar to the rear axle bought the farm.

This is a stamped steel mounting bracket. Soo... Do I need to replace the whole axle housing?

Do you think I can weld (or get welded actually) a new bracket to the akle shaft?

This is a "where do I start to look" question. Frankly I am a little stunned - I have NEVER heard of a bracket like that just braking.
exotic. The bracket may need to be bought or more likely fabricated. But of course to do the job right and not damage the axle assembly or its contents, warp it, or do a shoddy weld, would require a properly trained/experienced welder one who's done this repair before.

You might start calling around to various speed shops and ask if any know of any welder that can do the job for you. When you find one call him lay out the problem and ask if he can help you. If he knows right away what's the problem -- if he recognizes the situation -- and starts giving you a list of things to do -- like remove the axle housing, or just bring the car by, or something -- you have found the right guy. If he isn't the right guy ask him if he can recommend a shop.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Re: Serious problem with Camaro -- NBC
JM-Stamford,CT - Wednesday, 23 February, 2011, at 7:09:45 pm

The broken bracket is on the driver's side of the axle housing. It sheared in the middle of the bracket.
I owned a 2001 Z28 from Sept 2001 to Jan 2002 (and put 28K+ miles on the car in that time) then I sold it after buying the Boxster in Jan of 2002.

Anyhow, I can't tell from the pic just where the broken bracket is and where it is broken (I don't think I ever saw my Camaro from that angle). I believe the broken bracket is weldable but you'll have to find a shop that can do the job for you that knows how to properly weld with the item being welded still attached to the car. Or maybe you'll have to drop the axle. A speed shop or a automotive repair/welding shop one or a shop that specializes in building race car chassis like outlaw or sprints or modifieds, something like that, and which does a lot of welding on cars would be where I'd look. Morton Competition maybe.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
1995 -- and yes it has a hump *NM*
JM-Stamford,CT - Wednesday, 23 February, 2011, at 10:19:37 pm
Re: Serious problem with Camaro -- NBC
Yippee38 - Wednesday, 23 February, 2011, at 8:59:36 pm
You might want to go ask about this on LS1Tech. I bet somebody there can at least recommend a shop in your area.
my car is pre-ls-1 *NM*
JM-Stamford,CT - Wednesday, 23 February, 2011, at 10:56:15 pm
NM. *NM*
Yippee38 - Thursday, 24 February, 2011, at 8:54:33 am
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2011 08:56AM by Yippee38. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login