Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Spark Plug Question
IFlyLow - Sunday, 27 February, 2011, at 10:07:48 am
Before I say anything ,I want to thank Pedro AGAIN fot his detailed DIY pages. I changed spark plug tubes, cleaned the throttle body and replaced the MAF with absolutely no surprises. It sure makes repairs easier when you know what to expect.

My question: I bought the recommended Bosch plugs (two contacts) but when I pulled the current plugs, there were four contacts and they were approx 3/8" shorter. I didn't replace them, as I wanted clarification first. Will the longer plug work?
Re: Spark Plug Question
CarreraLicious - Sunday, 27 February, 2011, at 10:21:45 am
I thought the factory used Beru plugs, not Bosch. My old plugs were also 4 pronged as you can see here...

Replaced with the same 4 pronged Berus..

I have 6 old Beru plugs (ultra R6 328) at my desk from my Boxster and one new Bosch plug (Super 685 R5) and both the old Beru plugs and the new Bosch plug have the same 4 electrodes configuration and both have the same 'reach'. Both the old plug and the new plug have the same length of thread and both of the electrode ends extend out the same distance.

While I might be comfortable using a 2 or even a single electrode plug (or maybe not... Porsche had its choice of single and double and 4 electrode designs and it chose a 4 electrode design so I would stay with that) I would *never* use a plug with a different reach, either shorter or longer.

It would appear you received the wrong plugs.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
part numbers are:

14 FGR 6or7 KQU
FGR 6or7 KQC
BKR6EK NGK?

6 or 7 is a heat range and depends on year. I used 6.

Grant
Re: Spark Plug Question
IFlyLow - Monday, 28 February, 2011, at 1:41:48 am
Thanks. I will return them and look for some Beru plugs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login