Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
glass within gahh top
chamilun - Tuesday, 1 March, 2011, at 9:47:08 am
First post. Long-time 911 SC owner, recently purchased 99 Boxster

My car has a navy GAHH soft top and the plastic has somewhat poor visibility.

Has anyone attempted to install a glass window within the plastic?
Meaning take something like this (wrong dimensions I know)
[www.amazon.com]

Cut out the plastic, and glue this inside the plastic. Good idea? Bad idea? I figure
worst case scenario I either replace the plastic later or maybe buy a glass windows GAHH top.

I would need someone to let me know the size of the after market tops glass and where its located
for folding purpose.

thanks for any replies
2 classic approaches
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Tuesday, 1 March, 2011, at 10:55:01 am
I buy some Novus #2 and #1. #2 is a slightly abrasive compound and will take the haze off the window. #1 is just a plastic cleaner. 2 times a year for the last 5 years after it looked like heck before. Also seems to make the plastic more flexible.

Or find a canvas shop and sew some replacement plastic in in place of the existing.

There are a whole series of 14 articles on the top and its maintenance/replacement here thanks mostly to Maurice.
Re: glass within gahh top
MauriceonLongIsland - Wednesday, 2 March, 2011, at 1:15:25 am
Welcome! smileys with beer

Since your Boxster is a '99, you have a three-bow top so, if you want to temporarily install a glass panel in a cutout that you would make in the plastic window, you have to make sure that the glass panel is positioned so that it meets two criteria: 1. that it is small enough not to get crushed or cracked by the frame assembly when the top is completely open and under the clamshell, and 2. that its vertical size is small enough to allow it to end up stowed vertically against the roll bar so that you can put the top in the service position (to access the engine compartment).

Since GAHH makes a glass-windowed version of the three-bow top, the best approach would be to measure the size and position of one of those tops.

It may not be the most aesthetically pleasing install, but it should work if you can get some good adhesive for a plastic to glass seal. Note that your glass window will be considerably smaller than the current vinyl window and that your access to the engine compartment MAY be somewhat compromised, although that part remains to be seen (because the rest of the vinyl window will still be intact and that part will still be flexible).

Regards, Maurice.
Re: glass within gahh top
chamilun - Wednesday, 2 March, 2011, at 8:40:06 pm
I test drove a 99 with the GAHH glass top and felt a bit like I was in a tomb with the glass being so small. Thats why inserting glass within the plastic seems like something that may work.

anyone who can measure where the glass needs to go and what size (ie from a current GAHH)

thanks in advance
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login