Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
ADMIN! - This is important. Please read.
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 10 March, 2011, at 3:57:17 pm
Since this Board started, late last year, we've been vigilant that we all respect copyright laws.
These laws can be very strict and lawsuits are a dime-a-dozen for infringements.
Based on a recent case that just happened over at 986forum (http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28005) we will be even more strict in making sure that the law is respected.
Under no circumstance can a poster cut-and-paste any material from another website and post it.
You can paraphrase an article or a point of view from a website or other literary source and you may post a link (as I have done above), but you may not copy and paste the actual text on this board.
The same is true with photos and images. They are also protected under the same copyright laws.
Only post images for which you have the copyright ownership to.
PedrosBoard will be very vigilant and will delete posts that do not conform with the aforementioned laws.
Thanks for your understanding.
Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
+1
JM-Stamford,CT - Thursday, 10 March, 2011, at 6:27:07 pm
I have had client's sued for using such content.
There is probably enough "meat" in each one that getting it dismissed is not easy. Limited quotations SHOULD be protected by the fair use doctrine, but it is not worth the fight usually. Bottom line - litigation is so expensive, defendants are forced to settle - i.e., legalized extortion. This country really should have the English system whereby the loser in a law suit pays the winner's attorney's fees. And - you can quote me on that!
+++ a million, Mike smileys with beer *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 11 March, 2011, at 7:50:04 am
i've been reading about this practice for a few years now and it is really, really the scum of the scum. they buy copyright en masse and then search for the material on the web which is super easy. when they find it, they send a nasty letter telling the owner of the site to pay up or face legal action. they then squeeze the site owner for whatever they can get. it is a very, very nasty business but obviously a profitable one. scum.
i'm not saying we shouldn't respect copyright by any means. i just think the approach is pretty unethical and it is a sign of how perverted our legal system is.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
True, but
Richard H in Pcola - Friday, 11 March, 2011, at 12:49:02 am
I've also been told that intellectual property is lost without vigilant enforcement.
Re: True, but
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 11 March, 2011, at 8:12:37 am
Richard H in Pcola
I've also been told that intellectual property is lost without vigilant enforcement.

I agree with you about the value of intellectual property and enforcement.

HOWEVER, what Frogster is refering to, I believe, has to do with ethics. The companies that are searching out people/groups to sue, are doing so only for their own financial gain, NOT the creator of the intellectual property. They are only concerned with lining their own pockets and really have no interest in portecting authors.
Perfectly said, Guenter. That's exactly it. *NM*
frogster - Sunday, 13 March, 2011, at 1:53:48 pm
--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
the bloodsuckers that Guenter mentioned. The most notorious of these is a group called Righthaven.

The procedure for designating and registering an agent is set out in Section 512 (c) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2011 02:10AM by MauriceonLongIsland. (view changes)
We've done that already...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 11 March, 2011, at 11:40:55 am
... designating an agent, but still, we have to be strict.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Also make sure that the images you use...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 11 March, 2011, at 10:25:18 pm
... including your Avatar is your image.
We will start requesting proof of copyright ownership if we find a questionable image.
If no proof is provided, the image will be removed from the website.
Sorry for being so strict, but we're not playing here. This is serious.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Funny that people are suing over this...
Mike D. - Sunday, 13 March, 2011, at 11:51:59 am
I have worked at a number of large automotive media outlets, and the policy at all has been the same. We encourage people to quote and promote our content as long as there's a link back to the original article on our site. We don't have the rights to redistribute spy photos and some other third-party images, but we have never started any legal action regarding photos without first making many, many, many pleas for them to be removed. If images are taken down and a link back to us is posted, we won't trouble our lawyers. Quoting our article and linking back to the source is good for us because it expands our content's reach and bolsters the search engine optimization of the original content. I can't see the link you provided without registering, but if there is/was legal action, it's either some bottom-of-the-barrel site pursuing it, or that board willfully refused to remove specific copyrighted content for a long time.
To make a long story short
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 13 March, 2011, at 1:53:56 pm
I did read what happened and there was legal action involved and yes, bottom line, it is bottom-of-the-barrel site pursuing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login